council secuirty gates

I've just brought a new house and at the rear I have a garage but to access my garage you have to use the council security gates the last owner use to pay £10 the council are now billing me 350! 250 for legal survey fees and 100 a year for access to a key, for this 100 it doesn't include maintenance just literally paying £100 for a key to access my own garage is there anything I could do to get around this never heard of being charged for security gates.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As you are accessing your garage across someone else's land you are at their mercy, unless your deeds state you have a right of way over the land which is free and unlimited.

It appears that you have a wayleave, and these usually incur a charge
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Thanks for your reply, I now understand but where do I stand all my neighbours are paying for £5-10 a year and they want to charge me £100
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You'll probably find that the neighbours' agreements are quite old, and when they sell their houses, the new owners will also be charged £100.

I would however ask the council why you are being charged ten times what your neighbours are paying. But remember it is the council's land and if they decide that the wayleave is worth £100, then there is nothing to stop them charging that amount. £10 would probably barely cover the cost of collecting the annual fee.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Thanks for your reply all my neighbours have been there for 20 years + so I'm guessing there is nothing I can do they won't even clean up all the weeds round there which I think is bad as there charging me, but the council say there is a dispute over who should be maintaing there land!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure