We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Mortgage sold off
malaxim
Posts: 22 Forumite
Last November I remortgaged a property I rent to GMAC. Without notice or warning my mortgage was transferred to another company in March.
All I received was a demand for arrears which I promptly paid, from the new company when my direct debit did not go through because of faulty details.
The new company agreed to return their 35ukp fee and have now some weeks later sent copies of all the letters that were supposedly sent prior to the change.
All my information, details, transfer of DD, telephone numbers etc ahve been transferred including our joint password.
Is this possible under the current regulations?
If I need to enquire about my own account I have to go through 10 minutes of checks how come some company can just transfer all my details without approval?
All I received was a demand for arrears which I promptly paid, from the new company when my direct debit did not go through because of faulty details.
The new company agreed to return their 35ukp fee and have now some weeks later sent copies of all the letters that were supposedly sent prior to the change.
All my information, details, transfer of DD, telephone numbers etc ahve been transferred including our joint password.
Is this possible under the current regulations?
If I need to enquire about my own account I have to go through 10 minutes of checks how come some company can just transfer all my details without approval?
0
Comments
-
its usual (in fact i'ld say virtually always) for your loan contract to allow the reassignment or sale or transfer of the contact to other companies. So you almost certainly gave your approval when you signed the contract.
It does seem a little curt not to have informed you in good time.EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0 -
I can understand their ability to sell of my ortgage as aprt of their portfolio, but shouldn't a request have been made to enable them to abuse my rights of privacy especially under the Freedom of Information Act.0
-
They are fully entitled to sell off bits of their business to others without your consent.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0
-
I can understand their ability to sell of my ortgage as aprt of their portfolio, but shouldn't a request have been made to enable them to abuse my rights of privacy especially under the Freedom of Information Act.
what i'm saying is that you signed a contract agreeing to them doing this sort of thing.
if you don't want this to happen again with other financial products, in practice it means that you wont be able to have anything... no bank a/c, no CC, no insurance etc etc.EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0 -
GMAC can be expected to do this for all mortgages. It's the US way of working and that's where the company is from. Also ensure that the mortgage contract gives you all of the options and tolerance you want, because the firm that buys it will have no interest at all in doing anything except sticking rigidly to the conditions of the contract and collecting your home as soon as practical if you have trouble.
Pick a different company if you want the people who sell you the mortgage to be the people who service it throughout its life.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards