We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help requested

Im new to the site so hope this is the right place!

I have got into arrears with my mortgage due to some very bad advice from a mortgage broker.

I have a suspended possesion order on my property subject to paying £100 a month on top of my already crippling mortgage payment. I have only recently found out thatout of that £100, £40 goes to charges whilst my account is in arrears. Is this legal? once it has gone to court don't those charges stop?

Any help welcome.:confused:

Comments

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,400 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    I would have thought the charges would be detailed in the terms of the mortgage when you took it out.

    I don't know that charges would stop after court, interest and repossession charges would continue post repossession, if that happened.

    Your priority now is to make sure you meet those payments. Seek help on the DFW board. Good luck, I hope you sort things out!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Mr_helpful
    Mr_helpful Posts: 3,233 Forumite
    Im wondering how your broker got you into arrears
    I like to give people as many choices as possible to do what I want them to. (Milton H Erickson I think)
  • buff-tom
    buff-tom Posts: 61 Forumite
    Mr_helpful wrote: »
    Im wondering how your broker got you into arrears
    I was advised that I should not pay my interest only mortgage as my new mortgage whould be going through anytime (a bit silly I now know as 5 months down the line they turned around and said they couldn't do it) also put the money into some essential repairs to get through mortgage.
  • MortgageMamma
    MortgageMamma Posts: 6,686 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Your broker told you not to pay your mortgage? If someone told you to jump of a bridge onto the M25 would you do it? I'm sure your broker did not say "don't pay your mortgage again ever". Some people will blame anyone rather than accept they themselves are at fault.

    There are things you can do to stop the reposession, if you can't remortgage you could just sell at least then you still have control.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • buff-tom
    buff-tom Posts: 61 Forumite
    I was at the time trying to get a remortgage for essential repairs on my property mortgage broker DID tell me not to pay the mortgage but to use the money to get repairs done! Now looking to remortgage and have taken advice and put wheels in motion to do that!

    No I wouldn't jump of a bridge if someone told me to but when you have a national company who advertises on TV radio and in national press you would think they were giving you correct advice!!
  • petermb_2
    petermb_2 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    hi

    If he did give that advice, I wonder what else your broker got wrong.
    Did he disclose to you all his commissions and the fees he received?
    Was a packager firm used in the process?
    did the broker act as the packager?
    Did you take out additional insurances such as payment protection?
    If you used a broker, who is your lender?

    According to a recent "Which" mystery shopper campaign 37% of brokers were not complying to FSA regulations on disclosure. Those regulations are there because of underlying common law. So if brokers are not following guidelines of how to conduct business they are actually breaking the law of the land.

    good luck with your mortgage.

    regards
    Peter
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

    However, I have since seen the light.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.