We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Countrywide mortgage, FTB advice and Shared Ownership

Seen a property I like on the Shared Ownership scheme......brand new build, great location and one of the very few places within a 15 mile radius of work I could actually afford to buy.

Phoned the Estate Agents to arrange a viewing, only to be told that the Housing Association insists on a mortgage evaluation chat with the EAs mortgage advisors. Turns out this is Countrywide, as an FTB I am pretty much clueless as to the process but thought I had nothing to lose from going in and having the chat.

Quickly found out that this "chat" was me basically being told what mortgage I was having, over how many years, with who, what the best intro deal was for my circumstances! I asked my questions, but I may as well not have been there, once the income was established that was it, his mind was made up!

Nothing I hate more than these aggressive sales tactics, so these guys will not be getting my business, as clearly they weren't interested in what was best for me, especially as they weren't really listening to what I was saying.

Are these deals people like Countrywide offer really so much better than one I could source myself like they say, or is that more sales pitch?

If anyone has had any dealings with other lenders who offer Shared Ownership mortgages that they would recommend, then post up!

The one thing I've found totally frustrating though is that the lender won't give me a mortgage that has equivalent monthly payments to the rent+mortgage payment on the Shared Ownership property....they approve the fact that I can afford the mortgage and the rent payments, but combine the two and I can't......if this were the case, it would give me an extra 35k of purchasing power which would actually buy me a half decent property!

Comments

  • grade15
    grade15 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    i don't think its generally Countrywide..
    I think most mortgage advisers do that..I went to one and all he could talk about was ABBEY ..cos they do no upfront fees..didn't matter how bad the rate was..I said, I found, woolwich..not good..slow workers.., I asked about nationwide..arhh not good..I think best to go with ABBEY..
    so..I decided to go somewhere else for info..
    smile everyday...cos its free :)
    Live everyday to the Full..cos there is no tomorrow:dance:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.