We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Winding up lump sum

I received a letter about my pension from an old job winding up. Says I have £7858 I can take as cash minus tax just wondered if anyone knows how much tax I will pay on this? I'm a student working part time so don't earn a lot right now many thanks :)

Comments

  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,906 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    tartyarmy wrote: »
    I received a letter about my pension from an old job winding up. Says I have £7858 I can take as cash minus tax just wondered if anyone knows how much tax I will pay on this? I'm a student working part time so don't earn a lot right now many thanks :)

    25% will be tax-free and the rest taxed as your normal income. So depends on how much you earn.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,508 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 May 2013 at 9:55PM
    But ..... the payment will be taxed on a 944M1 basis so you will receive £6439 after having tax of £1509 deducted which, depending on your tax circumstances, probably means a tax overpayment of at least £331 which can be reclaimed in year. See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensionschemes/small-pen.htm#4

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.