We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
I need a new mortgage deal - please help!
dunnc64_2
Posts: 45 Forumite
Hi all
I am currently tied into a mortgage deal with Natwest until Feb 2008 and on their variable rate mortgage. I took the mortgage out about 14 months ago, because I was contracting at the time, I was being refused mortgage left right and centre, so being naive I went for this.
To cut a long story short my mortgage payments have gone up about £110 within the last year, and I now realise that I need to be on a fixed rate mortgage, if it goes up another £100 in the next year I will really be struggling - Now my problems are listed below:
-There is an early redemption charge of £2200 to get out
-My outstanding balance on my mortgage is £123,000
-Natwest have said they can change us to their fixed rate of 5.8 for 2 years fixed with an early redemption of 3% of balance and I will need to pay the early redemption charge and add it onto the current mortgage, taking it to over £125,000!
-My girlfriend left her old job in a hotel to be the manager in a bar and has not received any official pay slips for the last 3 months, but I dont believe natwest will require these if I stick with them as I also bank with them and have never missed a payment. Would this be a problem getting a mortgage with another lender?
If anybody can help I would appreciate it. If it helps I earn £29 k and my girlfriend earns approx £15k and my house value is approx £145,000. Thanks in advanced.
I am currently tied into a mortgage deal with Natwest until Feb 2008 and on their variable rate mortgage. I took the mortgage out about 14 months ago, because I was contracting at the time, I was being refused mortgage left right and centre, so being naive I went for this.
To cut a long story short my mortgage payments have gone up about £110 within the last year, and I now realise that I need to be on a fixed rate mortgage, if it goes up another £100 in the next year I will really be struggling - Now my problems are listed below:
-There is an early redemption charge of £2200 to get out
-My outstanding balance on my mortgage is £123,000
-Natwest have said they can change us to their fixed rate of 5.8 for 2 years fixed with an early redemption of 3% of balance and I will need to pay the early redemption charge and add it onto the current mortgage, taking it to over £125,000!
-My girlfriend left her old job in a hotel to be the manager in a bar and has not received any official pay slips for the last 3 months, but I dont believe natwest will require these if I stick with them as I also bank with them and have never missed a payment. Would this be a problem getting a mortgage with another lender?
If anybody can help I would appreciate it. If it helps I earn £29 k and my girlfriend earns approx £15k and my house value is approx £145,000. Thanks in advanced.
0
Comments
-
If I was you, I would stick it out with NW until FeB 2008 and then either look elsewhere or take a deal from them.
If interest rate did go up by £100 per month, you could convert to an interest only mortgage to reduce your outgoings.
£100 x 12 = £1200 only in the next twelve months. If you move now it's a certain £2,200
JoeKI am an Independent Financial Adviser.Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.0 -
Thanks for the reply JoeK. Is it possible for me to change to an interest only payment on the same deal without being charged the early redemption fee?0
-
Sure is
JoeKI am an Independent Financial Adviser.Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.0 -
Thanks, I may well do this tomorrow. Sorry to pester you JoeK but is there a particular way I should approach this, or simply just ask? I have found Natwest Mortgage Department really difficult to deal with over the past few months.
Ideally, I would like to keep it at interest only until the end of the mortgage in February then swap..would you recommend this and is this an option? Cheers
Chris0 -
i agree with all the above, and yes, swop to interest only now, and remortgage in feb.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards