Selling homemade items- Sorry if this has been askd before!

Sorry if this is a repeated question, I have done a forum search but not found what I was looking for.

I want to sell homemade baby blankets, bibs etc just as a hobby/side line.

Do the products need to meet any regulations or anything? I know toys need a CE mark but I won't be doing toys.

Thanks

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Ambassador
    49.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ambassador
    yes, items need to be made in a way that things cannot be pulled off, ie glued on crystals ...
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • thats it?

I will be machine sewing everything. So that should be fine then?
  • moonpennymoonpenny Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If I were you I would have a word with Trading Standards. Things are never that simple regarding children / babies etc.
  • Thank, tried going on the trading standards webiste and it woudlnt open! but will see about givng them a call.

Thanks
  • dizzytinadizzytina Forumite
    770 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Definately worth speaking to them and there are also some good support groups in facebook if you use facebook. I use the CE testing support group but there are also others worthing checking out xx
    MBNA[STRIKE] £10000[/STRIKE]£9782.77 SANT [STRIKE]£3168.74[/STRIKE]£1838.58 BARCLAY [STRIKE]£5661.87[/STRIKE]£5573.53 NEXT £0 ARGOS [STRIKE]£1600[/STRIKE]£1488.17
  • Much appreciated peps!
    Been dabbling in crafts for a while now so am excited to start a little venture, don't expect to become Millionaires at it bit if it paid for itself as a hobby I would be well chuffed!
  • Sorry if this is a repeated question, I have done a forum search but not found what I was looking for.

I want to sell homemade baby blankets, bibs etc just as a hobby/side line.

Do the products need to meet any regulations or anything? I know toys need a CE mark but I won't be doing toys.

Thanks

Anything intended for children has to go through rigorous checks such as durability, flammability, toxicity testing etc.

Also you will need to CE mark either the tags or boxes to confirm they meet these standards, you can self certify yourself to allow you to use the CE marks but you need to make sure 100% it follows the safety guidelines.

You will also need to get liability insurance, if someone claims that any of your items do not conform and make a claim against you, you could find yourself in hot water.

It's alot to go through, but you need to phone trading standards, they will be able to talk you through everything and send you (or direct you tp) necessary guidelines and your options
    Comping wishlist for 2017
    1. Family holiday 2. Christmas presents :rudolf: 3. Fishing stuff
    The more you put into life, the more you get out
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum