Selling homemade items- Sorry if this has been askd before!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
7 replies 1.1K views
partialycloudypartialycloudy Forumite
308 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
Sorry if this is a repeated question, I have done a forum search but not found what I was looking for.

I want to sell homemade baby blankets, bibs etc just as a hobby/side line.

Do the products need to meet any regulations or anything? I know toys need a CE mark but I won't be doing toys.

Thanks

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, items need to be made in a way that things cannot be pulled off, ie glued on crystals ...
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • partialycloudypartialycloudy Forumite
    308 Posts
    ✭✭
    thats it?

I will be machine sewing everything. So that should be fine then?
  • moonpennymoonpenny Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I were you I would have a word with Trading Standards. Things are never that simple regarding children / babies etc.
    308 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thank, tried going on the trading standards webiste and it woudlnt open! but will see about givng them a call.

Thanks
  • dizzytinadizzytina Forumite
    770 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Definately worth speaking to them and there are also some good support groups in facebook if you use facebook. I use the CE testing support group but there are also others worthing checking out xx
    MBNA[STRIKE] £10000[/STRIKE]£9782.77 SANT [STRIKE]£3168.74[/STRIKE]£1838.58 BARCLAY [STRIKE]£5661.87[/STRIKE]£5573.53 NEXT £0 ARGOS [STRIKE]£1600[/STRIKE]£1488.17
    308 Posts
    ✭✭
    Much appreciated peps!
    Been dabbling in crafts for a while now so am excited to start a little venture, don't expect to become Millionaires at it bit if it paid for itself as a hobby I would be well chuffed!
  • Savvybunny2009Savvybunny2009 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry if this is a repeated question, I have done a forum search but not found what I was looking for.

I want to sell homemade baby blankets, bibs etc just as a hobby/side line.

Do the products need to meet any regulations or anything? I know toys need a CE mark but I won't be doing toys.

Thanks

Anything intended for children has to go through rigorous checks such as durability, flammability, toxicity testing etc.

Also you will need to CE mark either the tags or boxes to confirm they meet these standards, you can self certify yourself to allow you to use the CE marks but you need to make sure 100% it follows the safety guidelines.

You will also need to get liability insurance, if someone claims that any of your items do not conform and make a claim against you, you could find yourself in hot water.

It's alot to go through, but you need to phone trading standards, they will be able to talk you through everything and send you (or direct you tp) necessary guidelines and your options
    Comping wishlist for 2017
    1. Family holiday 2. Christmas presents :rudolf: 3. Fishing stuff
    The more you put into life, the more you get out
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up