We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OS Aeroplane food?

Hi OSrs

Can you help me plan my airplane food for tommorrow night? The trouble is I have to get it ready tonight and we don't fly until tomorrow night (but Im working all day and heading straight to airport from work). On this occasion I don't mind including pre-packaged stuff etc. The in flight meals were supposed to be £100 (we are a family of 5) so I've already made quite a saving and we are on our holidays.

The family have said they don't want sandwiches etc anyway (just as well as they probably wouldn't keep) would prefer nibbles. The only suggestion from kids so far is crisps and dips....and I'm stumped.

We won't have time to eat at the airport either as we are on a tight schedule...

Any suggestions?

Ellax

EDITED TO SAY: Does anyone know if there is still a liquid ban on flights? I've googled it but can't find anything conclusive....?

Comments

  • kirstyreanne
    kirstyreanne Posts: 276 Forumite
    Hi,

    When me & my partner travel, we take the usual sandwiches, sausage rolls etc, but I freeze quite a few Capri Suns to put in with the food. Keeps it fresh & provides a drink for later. I find they stay frozen for a good while as well.

    HTH.
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,331 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Ellas, not sure that you will be allowed to take food through security, certainly no drinks or more than 100g of creams etc, unless in checked in baggage...check this as it has been my experience when flying in and out of UK, ROI, Netherlands, Italy and Belgium in recent times, but do check it in case I have got things upside down (this has been known to happen!)

    Enjoy your holiday

    Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • ellas9602
    ellas9602 Posts: 721 Forumite
    Thanks kirsty/Marie

    I think you are right Marie, there is still a liquid ban..I won't even be able to take Dips/Hummus etc will I?

    It's only a 3 hr flight so we are not going to starve but I don't want the kids to feel left out when everyone else is tucking in (even if it is pure muck). It breaks the flight up as well doesn't it?

    The kids also lovingly joke about how 'tight' I am so I do feel a bit mean sometimes....

    mmmm I think we'll just have to have a good meal before we leave.....
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Who are you flying with?

    BA guidelines -
    Customers can take solid food items onboard for consumption in-flight such as sandwiches, crisps, fruit and vegetables.
    Drinks and liquid-based food items such as pasta sauces, gravies, stews and curries, jams and yoghurts may be taken through security provided they are stored in containers no larger than 100ml and are carried in a clear plastic bag.

    Bringing your own food and purchasing a drink might be a (grudging!) compromise.
  • ellas9602
    ellas9602 Posts: 721 Forumite
    Thanks Smashing...

    I fly with Thomas Cook...I'll check with them. I'm nervous now though.....getting all my food confiscated if it's a bit wet!

    I'm in my pre-holiday panic mode..I'm flapping about everything!:rotfl:
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    not hugely OS, but still less than £100...

    how about you all choose and buy a meal deal from boots at the airport?

    I normally buy one anyway, even if there is a free (!) meal on the flight, as it's usually inedible. If you get it after passport control, you can take a drink/yoghurt/dip etc onboard. £3 or £3.50 (airport mark-up maybe?) each, and boots points too, and with 5 you might even get one free if you have their lunch voucher thing.
  • trigger2
    trigger2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    what about some cold pizza slices ? pack them in a clear tupperware box & they wont take up much room & they'll be more filling than crisps :confused: have a good holiday !
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I booked a long haul flight with Going places ( whatever they are called now) and they gave me the meal even tho I chose not to pay for it. Obviously wasnt amazing- but I did manage to snag a vegetarian one as thats what was left over ( theyd over ordered) I seldom have the "meat" offerings on planes, jsut dont trust it ( unless I fly with someone decent- scheduled where they are a bit better)

    I second the boots meal deal offer idea if you are certain you wil have to eat on the plane.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • ellas9602
    ellas9602 Posts: 721 Forumite
    Thanks Sooz, i had thought of Boots actually. I may just do that.

    So far though..

    I'll probably be taking
    Pizza...Thanks trigger:T
    crackers
    Babybels or similar
    olives
    houmous
    crisps
    fruit

    that should do us......
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.