Moving to Bristol

Options

Comments

• tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Seconding the recommendation of Totterdown. You can't beat living high above the city with all the lights laid out below you and the stars coming out at night. And it would be perfect for walking to work near Temple Meads. :)
  • Anouchka
    Anouchka Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you very much for all your information. They will have a good read through your comments and study a map of Bristol etc., over the weekend. Thanks again. H
    Make £10 per day in May challenge: £310/123.92
  • charlearose
    charlearose Posts: 192 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2013 at 12:43PM
    Options
    If he needs to be close to Temple Meads Station
    then i would say Totterdown Southville Bedminster
    Victoria Park (the bedminster one, not the cliffton one
    and then anywhere in the city center itself i.e. Cabot Circus/ Waterfront Queens Square

If you want furnished accommodation then I would recommend something like this
    my sister used to rent there a while back and they are really nice and quiet and modern
    very nicely decorated with nice furniture right opposite asdas and bedminster and 10mins walk to the station and the city centre
    The two beds are better with en suite and separate bathroom but more expensive i think at 700 -725
    With these all you need is your clothes to move in everything is in there inc curtains /blinds ect. No parking though but its a good base to start with in bristol if not familiar with it

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-38149393.html

This is slap bang in the city centre and also furnished
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-41416844.html

This is in Totterdown 10 mins walk to the city center right on the Well Rd

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-13104840.html

This is on the waterfront near @bristol / city center probably 15 -20 mins to Temple Meads although i think there might be the Ferry that you can get that take you there as well

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-38945962.html

This is in Bedminster North St
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-41775944.html?showcase=true

and these are all city centre locations within 1.5 miles of the train station 1 & 2 beds furnished under £700
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E24756&maxPrice=700&minBedrooms=1&maxBedrooms=2&displayPropertyType=flats&oldDisplayPropertyType=flats&primaryDisplayPropertyType=flats&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=flats&radius=3.0&letFurnishType=furnished&googleAnalyticsChannel=renting
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    I used to live right beside Cabot Circus, it is a rundown area council housing neglected by the council.2 lots of homeless hostels can be noisy at night - St Judes

Old Market, just in front of St Judes is a vibrant gay area, very friendly, but noisy again

Stokes Croft, very busy day and night.

would agree again that south bristol would be quieter, but still 'hip'

with acess to east street for main busess going over redcliffe hill a short walk away from temple meads.

what about weston, nailsea, all on the trainline to templemeads
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd recommend Hamilton Court to someone new to Bristle ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • hanb
    hanb Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with the Southville/Tptterdown/Bedminster suggestions.

I moved here 3 and a half years ago and headed straight to Clifton because it was the 'posh/safe area'. I do love it but I think it's pretty dull and spend an awful lot of my time in Southville and the likes. There's much more of a community spirit down there and people are friendlier - I haven't made any friends being out and about in Clifton yet I've made loads being out and about in Southville.

In fact, I'm looking to buy a house in the next 12 months and this is the area I'm looking to buy in!

How exciting! :) If they need any reassurance, moving to Bristol was the best thing I ever did!
  • Anouchka
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice, it's very gratefully received.

It is an exciting time for them but a little daunting as it's all new and Bristol is quite a way from Glasgow. However it's a brilliant opportunity for them as my son has finally found the type of job he has been hoping for and Bristol University offers exactly the Masters course the girlfriend wants to take.

They are planning a visit to Bristol next week and will certainly be taking your advice with them.

Thanks again for being so generous with your information.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh well, if they're coming from Glasgow I'm sure there'll be no problem - as long as they can master the krek waiters speke Bristle fairly rapidly! :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Mupette wrote: »
    what about weston, nailsea, all on the trainline to templemeads

Friend of mine lives in Nailsea and finds transport a real issue at times, for what it's worth - if she joins us in Bristol in the late evenings she's always worrying about the last train home. The OP said son and girlfriend have no car so I'd stick with the city itself so you can always walk home.
  • Anouchka
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who took the time and trouble to reply to my original post. A quick update. They have decided on a flat just off St Paul's Road in Clifton. Seems a pleasant area and is near enough to where they both need to be. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport