We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mis-sold Mortgage?

We re mortgaged 2 and half years ago to Abbey on a Self Cert mortgage (both hubby and myself self employed).

Nov 06 I moved over to a different fixed rate with Abbey for two years. At the time I asked them if the mortgage was portable as there was a possibility that we would be moving.

I have now sold my house and found another :j

I have phoned Abbey to discover that they no longer do Self Cert Mortgages, and based on our current income we allegedly cannot afford the mortgage we currentl have and have been paying. I do not want to increase our mortgage just transfer to another property.

We were not told last Nov that they no longer accept self cert mortgages, I would not have tied ourselves into a fixed for two years if I had known.

There is an early redemption fee with the fixed that we are on.

In your opinion do you think we could have a case to get the fee refunded or not charged?
Proud to be dealing with our debts - We WANT to be debt free DEC 09 :rolleyes:
Grocery challenge: £230 / £230 left

Comments

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,857 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We were not told last Nov that they no longer accept self cert mortgages, I would not have tied ourselves into a fixed for two years if I had known.

    Did you ask? (portability is different to borrowing a higher amount)

    Did you see a mortgage adviser to give you such advice?

    If you just told them to change the deal then they will act on your instructions. If you sought advice, then things like this may well of been raised in the advice process.
    In your opinion do you think we could have a case to get the fee refunded or not charged?

    They have no reason to as they have dont nothing wrong but if you dont ask, you dont get.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bananakinz
    bananakinz Posts: 302 Forumite
    thb I didn't ask, or see an advisor :( I just phoned them and asked them to transfer to another fixed rate deal. I did ask them about portability though, and it seems daft that the mortgage is portable but we do not qualify for a mortgage with them even though we have been paying without delay for so long. They did not go through any sort of affordabily questions over the phone.
    Proud to be dealing with our debts - We WANT to be debt free DEC 09 :rolleyes:
    Grocery challenge: £230 / £230 left
  • JoeK_3
    JoeK_3 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    Whilst mortgages are portable, no lender will guarantee to accept you on future income, as people's circumstances can change.

    It looks like you will just have to bite the bullet, pay the redemption penalty and find yourself a good self cert mortgage.

    JoeK
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser.
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,857 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    thb I didn't ask, or see an advisor :( I just phoned them and asked them to transfer to another fixed rate deal.
    Thats known as direct to provider or execution only. You cannot complain about advice if you dont get it. You get less protection under the FOS as well.
    I did ask them about portability though, and it seems daft that the mortgage is portable but we do not qualify for a mortgage with them even though we have been paying without delay for so long.

    Eligibility for a new mortage is different to having a portable deal.
    They did not go through any sort of affordabily questions over the phone.

    They dont need to as they are not giving advice or arranging a new mortgage.

    Basically, you are going to have to appeal to their good nature and hope for the best.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mr_helpful
    Mr_helpful Posts: 3,233 Forumite
    Why do you need to self cert? what has happened to your income from last time.
    I like to give people as many choices as possible to do what I want them to. (Milton H Erickson I think)
  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    You have no grounds for a claim as far as I can see.

    Portability is an option that many lenders will offer as part of their features attached with a mortgage.

    The feature is never guaranteed as the lender has to have the option to change their lending criteria to manage the risk that they have on their books. They also do not want to have to commit to lending against properties that they would never accept normally.

    You therefore cannot rely on portability in your planning when dealing with mortgages. I appreciate that you acted on the basis that the lender told you it was an option and gave you the impression that it would be possible (and maybe there was no reason to think otherwise at the time by the lender) but ultimately they have the right to not honour this.

    You could complain to the lender and see if that gets you anyway and see if they have recorded the call but I wouldnt like to say how successful that would be. The FSA cannot make a lender lend you money as they have no power over the lender in this way.

    I am sorry to hear that you have found yourself in this position.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.