We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Raising a mortgage against non-principal residence

My current lender (Accord) is unable to lend against properties other than owner occupied and I need to borrow money using as security other property which I own.

Can anyone advise which lenders may currently be used to lending in this specific market at reasonable rates?

Comments

  • MortgageMamma
    MortgageMamma Posts: 6,686 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Do you have a mortgage on the other property or is it unencumbered?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • cordial
    cordial Posts: 542 Forumite
    There is more than one and they are owned outright.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Any BTL lender will be ok for this - assuming the properties are let out
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • cordial
    cordial Posts: 542 Forumite
    I don't necessarily want the money for the purpose of house purchase.
  • cordial wrote: »
    I don't necessarily want the money for the purpose of house purchase.

    It does not matter what you want the money for. You can do a BTL remortgage and take the funds in cash. As long as the security stacks up to the lenders criteria, typically 85% max of valuation, rental covering 120% of payments.

    HTH
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    cordial wrote: »
    I don't necessarily want the money for the purpose of house purchase.

    That's fine

    As long as its for a legal purpose you should be ok - subject to the lender's tiers for various reasons of capital raising
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • cordial
    cordial Posts: 542 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies.

    Having now contacted a number of lenders, I view it as curious that they insist on viewing any arrangement as a BTL situation, even though the properties acting as security are already acquired.

    I regard this as stretching the perception of matters to breaking point. The money is likely to be used for entirely different purposes. To me this appears as a gloss imposed so as to allow them to charge a higher rate.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Are the properties you are looking to raise against let out?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • cordial
    cordial Posts: 542 Forumite
    Some are. Some aren't. Some/all have been in the past. Some/all may or may not be in the future.

    My point is that they are a fixed asset already owned and I wish to raise the money using their market value as property as security and not any rent income which, as you can see, is a distinctly variable matter.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Well they do use the market value as security

    However they look to agree the mortgage amount not based on your own personal income, but rather on the expected rental income of the property

    Both property values and rent are variable - both can go up or down

    If one of the properties is a second property/family property, then you could look at other options, however your own personal income would need to be able to cover all amounts

    HTH
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.