We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Problem - Change of Borrower with Abbey

I've been seperated for nearly two years and have been paying the joint mortgage alone. My ex has now agreed to let me have the house instead of paying maintenance for the kids (hurrah!).
I've called Abbey who say that I don't earn enough to pay the mortgage on my own irrespective of whether I have been or not and advised me to get legal advice. I don't want him to have a claim on my property.
What do I do now? HELP!
Thanks
J x
Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!

Comments

  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    What is the property value?
    How much is outstanding on the mortgage?

    What is your income?
    Do you get any other benefits/tax credits etc?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • jjuggle
    jjuggle Posts: 30 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    The house is probably worth at least 180k
    Outstanding mortgage is 98k
    Income including benefits is about 16k
    When I told Abbey my income, they said it wasn't enough and advised that I should keep him on the mortgage - gits!
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • apk1
    apk1 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Jjuggle, a difficult situation, obviously you want to get the property into your name, but from Abbeys point of view you are overborrowing for your income at nearly 6x. You may be able to appeal the decision and get it agreed, or another option could be to get your ex taken off the deeds but kept on the mortgage, although this will normally only be agreed with a court order.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • jjuggle
    jjuggle Posts: 30 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Saw a solicitor today, (my free 30 minute consultation and I qualify for Legal Aid!), so I'm going for a Seperation Order which will state about the property agreement and the conditions for it, all he has to do is agree and sign. They will also do the Land Registry bit to get him off the deeds.
    I might look into remortgaging too.
    Thanks,
    J
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.