We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Exaggering your income?
wigwam_salesman
Posts: 48 Forumite
We just got our mortgage with Northern Rock and they provided a good service and the full offer came through quickly so we have recommended them to a friend.
The trouble is he doesn't earn enough for them to offer him what he wants. His payslips are printed on A4 by the employer and several of our friends have suggested he manipulates them a bit. This sounds dodgy (to say the least) to me but they all reckon that it is pretty common on self-certified mortgages.
Trouble is I am not sure if Northern Rocks mortgages are self certified. I am trying to remember if we provided bank statements as forms of ID alone or if they actually needed them to confirm out salaries.
Could someone give me some advice to pass on that actually knows what they are talking about please.
P.S - I noticed the title misspelling just as I hit submit.
The trouble is he doesn't earn enough for them to offer him what he wants. His payslips are printed on A4 by the employer and several of our friends have suggested he manipulates them a bit. This sounds dodgy (to say the least) to me but they all reckon that it is pretty common on self-certified mortgages.
Trouble is I am not sure if Northern Rocks mortgages are self certified. I am trying to remember if we provided bank statements as forms of ID alone or if they actually needed them to confirm out salaries.
Could someone give me some advice to pass on that actually knows what they are talking about please.
P.S - I noticed the title misspelling just as I hit submit.
0
Comments
-
If the mortgage is self-cert then you don't provide and evidence of your earnings, so there is nothing to be 'manipulated'.
What he is actually contemplating is fraud! If he can't afford the level of borrowing then he needs to set his sights a bit lower or see if there is another lender that has a criteria he meets.0 -
There are no limits as to how low some people will stoop to have their houses reposessed.I am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
I can tell you this - NR have a very active forensic team analysing their applications. If anyone's going to spot it they will because, for example, the gross pay and NI contributions will not tally.
Fair chance of getting a free holiday in Dartmoor.I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
Toonfish you do make me larf sometimes.
I'm looking for a free holiday this year lolI am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
As everyone above has said (very clearly...) this is fraud and if discovered, is a very serious offence. Up to your friend if they want to take the risk on that side. But, on an affordability side your friend is also absolutely crazy. Legitimate lending levels have/are getting home owners into trouble, without going over and above that level.
If you are a friend, the best advice you can give them is buy something they can afford, and if there isn't anything wait!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards