We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Using surrender money for home improvements or pay off mortgage ?

I'm about to cash in my endowment policy (I've already switched mortgage to repayment 2 years ago). However, my house needs quite a bit of work doing still and I'm tempted to use the cash to improve the house (£7,500). Does this seem madness given how much interest one pays in total on a mortgage ? I think if I pay the full £7,500 off the mortgage I will be saving loads in interest but then I would need to borrow a substantial sum to get work done on the house. :confused:

So, my question is:- is it better to pay the lump sum off the mortgage then take a loan for house improvements or shall I simply use the £7,500 for the house improvements :confused:

Some advice from you guys would be appreciated :D

Comments

  • JoeK_3
    JoeK_3 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    "Simply use the £7,500 for the house improvements"

    JoeK
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser.
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    unlikely that a loan will be at a lower interest rate than the mortgage so use the money for the improvements rather than pay off from the mortgage. you can always overpay on the mortgage later when you have spare money.
    EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
    some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
    EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.