Over the Rainbow and Happy Ever After

Options
castlelough
castlelough Posts: 302 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 8 May 2013 at 11:09PM in Debt free diaries
So, that's what I'm aiming for - over the rainbow, where the skies are blue, the clouds have silver linings and we get our happy ever after.

I had my LBM in July 2012, when my husband and I were turned down for a mortgage. We are building a house on our own land (farm) and are half-way there. We felt certain the bank would lend us the money we needed (€80,000) to finish the build. Particularly as we own the site and had already invested €90,000 ourselves.
But the reality was we had run up short-term debts of €18,000+ and had no savings left.

And so the first obstacle we need to tackle is our debt (or most of it). We recently approached a different bank and have been advised to:

1. Clear the credit card - currently standing at €2154.58
2. Clear the small loan - currently standing at €960.35.
3. Save up an 8% deposit - which would be €6,400.

I plan to have cleared the debt to the Photographer (from our wedding in July 2011 :eek:) by our second wedding anniversary.

I think I can have the credit card and the small loan paid off by early August, and between myself and Mr. Castle I have estimated that we can save the deposit by November.

Once the mortgage has been secured I will tackle the remaining debt. I would love to have that cleared by my 35th birthday in April 2014. This debtfree wannabe business is taking over my life, and I just want to get to the finish line and be 'happy ever after' in our own home.

I will really appreciate any encouragement and support received along the way. I'm not at all sensible, and have only recently begun to see the error of my spendthrift ways :rotfl:.

xxx Castle
Credit Card: €6000 ---> €3827.31
Unicorn Fund: €0/3500

Comments

• castlelough
    Options
    Just popping by.
    Today was payday, so I transferred more than €400 to my Credit Card, which is my biggest repayment in a long time. Absolutely thrilled to get it below the €2k mark - it's certainly been a while since I saw a balance so low on my credit card account - delighted! :beer:
    My two loans are deducted automatically from my wages, so that just leaves the fortnightly cheque to write to the photographer.

Am thinking I might have to reduce that this fortnight as I didn't budget for a doctor's appointment I've had to make, which will set me back about €45.

I suppose I really should at least have a mini-emergency fund for this type of expense.

Am planning a quiet weekend, so hopefully it will be a low-spend one.... :A
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,383 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiney new diary :)
    Keep plodding & keep posting :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • pantherchick
    pantherchick Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    Will wish you luck and happiness along the way, keep posting xx
  • castlelough
    edited 12 May 2013 at 4:14PM
    Options
    Thanks beanielou and panterchick for the encouragement and the welcome!

My budget is going abysmally. Friday's visit to the doctor cost €45 and resulted in a spend at the pharmacy of a further €27....:eek:

In the spirit of MSE I did a great shop in Aldi yesterday, but unfortunately got a little side-tracked by the gardening items on special offer - but they were such good value! I bought two large heavy terracotta pots and two pretty wooden planters that would be just perfect with bay trees in. I spent almost €48, which I had to deduct from birthday money my mother gave me (which was supposed to be spent on shoes for a wedding next month.... :o)

Taking it easy this afternoon after playing the music for the First Holy Communion ceremony for our school. Phew! So glad to have it over, without too much mishap. :) Now just my piano exam (Grade 4) to get through on Monday week.

And a night away with my friends next Saturday. :jI will have to be careful, as my budget is very tight....but I don't want to be obviously penny pinching either. I have missed out on a lot of girly trips, holidays and nights out over the last few years as I just couldn't afford them. I moved three hours drive away too, when i got married, so I just don't get to see them very much anymore. I just decided that I wasn't missing out again, and budgetted to be able to go this time! :beer:
  • castlelough
    Options
    Ooh I meant to add that I finally got my act together and applied for Salary Protection. It is going to cost €21 per fortnight out of my take-home pay. I know this is quite a lot, but I have thought about it for quite a while, and I've decided it is important and is worth it. It was one of my financial goals for this year, so I'm happy to have sorted it out at last! :j
  • Newyorkdreams
    Newyorkdreams Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hey Chicka! Dropping by to say hi and to support your shiny new diary.

You will do this and get your mortgage, I know you will.

NYD xxx
    2019 goal
    0/£15000
  • Newyorkdreams
    Newyorkdreams Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    P.s. I didn't realise that a visit to the doctor wasn't 'free' in Ireland! You learn something new every day! : )
    2019 goal
    0/£15000
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,383 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    What is salary protection?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • castlelough
    Options
    Hi NYD! Thanks for stopping by! :wave::wave::wave:
    Yes, unless you have a medical card in Ireland (or are pregnant!) you have to pay for your GP visits here. I'm not sure about this, but I think you need to be on social welfare or have a very very low income to qualify for one.

Beanielou, salary protection is one of those insurances that you can get. Basically if you got sick, and your sick pay ran out at work, and you were unable to return to work yet (or ever) you would continue to receive an income. It doubles as life assurance too, so if I was to die DH would get a payout of twice my salary and wouldn't be struggling to raise our (as yet) non-existent children etc etc ...
    I'm not sure what the general MSE opinion is on salary protection, but I discovered a lot of my friends had it through our trade union scheme and thought I should investigate. I had a bit of a health fright recently, and I was thinking all the worst-case scenarios and the thought of having only state benefits terrified me! :eek:
  • castlelough
    Options
    :mad: I got a speeding fine in the post today. My first ever. €80. GRRRRRRRRR. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family