How much to give a Colleague as a wedding gift

A Colleague at work is getting married and has asked for money for wedding gifts.

We were going to have a collection at work but now everyone has said they would rather give something to her individually.

I am not going to the wedding as I am away that weekend, I am going to get her a card but don't have a lot of spare money.

How much will be reasonable to give?

Comments

• alison6692
    alison6692 Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    £15 ? I reckon that would be okay - But as you are not going I wouldn't even feel like you should give anything.

PS - Don't be tempted to get a bottle of champagne or anything. Very kind people who could not attend or just came in the evening gave us bottles of champagne and we ended up with 10 - eeek! I am not even that keen on champagne.

Why not just give your friend a card and maybe a little gift like this on the day Krisis Kit

HTH

Alison x
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
  • cookie54
    cookie54 Posts: 334 Forumite
    how about a nice card and a guest book . we went to a friends wedding and there was a guest book and people signed it and made nice comments etc but there was a note next to it saying it was a gift from so ans so who couldnot make the wedding
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    A Colleague at work is getting married and has asked for money for wedding gifts.

We were going to have a collection at work but now everyone has said they would rather give something to her individually.

I am not going to the wedding as I am away that weekend, I am going to get her a card but don't have a lot of spare money.

How much will be reasonable to give?

It's a work colleague, you won't be there, you don't have much spare money - I'd be tempted to give the happy couple a card and leave it at that!

Unless of course you are good friends who happen to be colleagues, then that would be a different matter. But, to be in a position where you are worrying about a gift for a colleague, who's wedding you won't even attend to me is gift giving gone crazy!!!

How much would you have put into the donation? If you still feel "obliged", only give that same amount.

There are no 'rules' when it comes to giving - you give what you *choose* and what *you* can afford if that is what you choose to do.

A no money touching gift could be a poem written by you enclosed in the card, if you are that way inclined with words?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • seashore321
    seashore321 Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    I always think it's a bit naff to ask for money. Give what you want if they like plants then give them something unusual like a green perpper plant or a curry leaf plant.

Alternatively send a card and say as you did not know what to get them you have donated x amount to a charity in their name or buy them a years bugs food or something similar at one of the adopt an animal sites.

Better still donate the money to a child getting a years schooling or cataract operation.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    How about buying a nice photo frame? there are soooo many to choose from and no-one will know how much you spent - not that it should matter!!
    When we got married we allready had 2 of everything as i had been living on my own and OH is a squaddie...we didnt want or expect anyything but people kept asking and in the end we said photo frames.....that way people could spend a couple of pounds to whatever they wanted..and we ended up with a great selection that has made a lovely display of our wedding day..plus they dont take up much space!!
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If you feel that you must send something then I'd do this for as little as £5http://savethechildren.sandbag.uk.com/ That'll teach them to be greedy ;)
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Sorry the link's not working :rolleyes: Just type in Save the children then click on wish list :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure