Linked to my ex with HSBC mortgage on Credit Report

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I split from my ex over 4.5 years ago now. We bought a house together in 2006 with a HSBC mortgage, fixed for 5 years.

The split was as amicable as it can be in these situations & I left after 6 months living in separate rooms & moved 250 miles away.

We had a 'verbal' agreement. He insisted if I left with clothes & knick knacks only, he would pay me a paltry sum & in turn remove me from our joint mortgage within 2 years. He then proceeded to quit his job and live like a hobo for over a year whilst threatening suicide and occasionally giving me the odd £100 here and there.

I still haven't had all the money he owes me, but I have written that off. I am more bothered about the fact that my credit history is linked to his house of credit cards.

He became self employed when he got his bum into gear a bit & has been self employed for over 2 years now. I work for an IFA. I know it is highly unlikely that he will get a mortgage on his own. His outgoings dwarf his income. I can only imagine the missed payments. The only promise he has kept is that the mortgage has always been paid.

What I want to know is; is there a way that I can remove the financial connection on my credit report whilst the mortgage is still there. I know on the experian financial connections questionnaire you can ask even if you have a joint account/mortgage. But what classifies? How do I explain the above?

I haven't paid towards that mortgage since the day I left... July 27th 2009. I pay rent & am on the electoral roll miles away. We have nothing else linking us.

Any help is much appreciated. Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks, Lily
Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    No. There isn't.

All you can do is go to court and seek an order of sale.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I haven't paid towards that mortgage since the day I left...

Still liable for the debt though.

Is there equity in the property?
  • liltdiddylilt
    liltdiddylilt Posts: 4,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    I didn't think there was. That experian thing was linked on a different thread and I was confused when it said they might consider even if you had a mortgage.

I'm aware that I am still liable. It's one of those things that didn't seem too worrying when I was leaving and everything was hunky dory.

Yes I think the house just about has equity in it now. However, saleable it is not. It was negative eq when I moved out, which was why we didn't sell. Plus he wanted to keep it. So that he could do nothing to it & let his sister and animals trash the place apparently.

It's just one of those things I live with... I just wondered if there might be a way to de-link us on the report at least.

Thanks anyway :)
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure