Alcohol guidelines - legal?

Options
Looking for some quick advice on this. My employer has a fairly strict dugs/alcohol policy, not allowed to drink on duty/randomised drug tests etc, which I think is fair enough.

They have recently stipulated that above and beyond what is required of us whilst ON duty, we must also not be seen off duty (whilst in uniform):

1) In premises which serve alcohol to be consumed on those premises (pubs)
2) In premises which serve alcohol to be consumed off the premises (supermarkets, off-sales etc).

Whilst I can fully understand the reasons behind point 1, I'm a touch annoyed about point 2. I often meet the other half after work to do the weekly shop, which can include alcohol (wine, beers etc).

I wouldn't dream of going out drinking in uniform, but is it fair/legal for them to stipulate what I can/cannot do in my own free time?

Just some additional info, the sanctions for being caught doing the above are gross misconduct/dismissal.

I am not a member of the forces or emergency services.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Comments

• AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    They say 'whilst in uniform' so yes they can as you are representing the company in that uniform and if it gives away the company then it may not look good if you are buy booze whilst in it.

They can however not tell you to go into ASDA say at lunch time and buy some booze when NOT in the uniform (if you can take it off) but they can make a rule that your purchase can not be brought back into the building.

When the smoking ban came in we were not allowed to smoke on company time (I don't smoke) and if seen you could be sacked.

IE: if you are going to the bank and think you can have a quick fag, think on.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Basically, I would agree with you - 1) is reasonable but 2) is not entirely reasonable - although it is on a sliding scale of grey areas, where i would say that a full off licence is quite reasonably off limits, whereas a corner post office or a supermarket are less reasonably off limits.

A possible solution is to put a sweatshirt and a coat in the car and change into these in the supermarket car park or before leaving work. Most uniforms tend to be only identifiable by the top half.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do they also stipulate no trade union membership for their employees?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The employer is not saying that you cannot enter these establishments in your own time. What it is saying is that you must not hold yourself out as representing the organisation, by wearing your uniform in these establishments. The solution is simple - take a change of clothing and change into 'civvies' before leaving work. As someone else has said, usually this just means changing the jacket/jumper, as the trousers are normally fairly non-descript.

In any event, now that you have been warned that ignoring this instruction may be viewed as gross misconduct, is it really worth putting your job at risk for the sake of changing your top, or pulling a jumper on over your shirt?
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't ask me, because I don't know why, but it's like that, and that's the way it is
  • jason_nevins
    Options
    Thanks for the replies folks, it's not that I'm a raging alky, I just don't like being told what to do in my own time.

To answer ohreally's point - union membership is something like 99% in my workplace, but the union aren't intervening as apparently this is a "rebriefing" of existing policy.

They're a horrible, bullying company to work for. This is just another way for them to exert some more control on their workforce.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are they an American company? I have seen rules around alcohol from companies where the head office is based in the States, and the rules become company wide.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies folks, it's not that I'm a raging alky, I just don't like being told what to do in my own time.

To answer ohreally's point - union membership is something like 99% in my workplace, but the union aren't intervening as apparently this is a "rebriefing" of existing policy.

They're a horrible, bullying company to work for. This is just another way for them to exert some more control on their workforce.

If it is a 'rebriefing of existing policy' then it isn't 'another way to exert some more control' it is simply a reminder of existing policy, and a reminder that a breach of that policy would normally be viewed as gross misconduct, potentially putting your job at risk.

Is the union recognised by the employer for collective consultations? If so, then the policy was probably agreed with the union at the outset, so there isn't really much the union can do about it.

It sounds like you are not very happy in your job and dislike being told to comply with your employer's policies and procedures. Maybe it is time to start looking for work in a different environment?
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • xxJudexx
    xxJudexx Posts: 422 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. In my current workplace we are not allowed to be seen outside of work in our uniform at all, even if we are just popping out for lunch. Its a pain but everyone abides by it. When it was colder I'd just put a jumper over the top.
    When I first started working I worked in a bakery and we were not allowed to leave/enter the premises wearing our uniform (this was more for hygiene reasons though). Its easy enough to put on a change of clothes
  • getzls
    getzls Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Sounds like Royal Mail.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport