We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Repayment or interest only?

2»

Comments

  • Melissa177
    Melissa177 Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with that. Over short periods, you can make money on an I/O loan for a property, particularly if you have bought a property below market value and then sell above.

    A "below market value" property might be one where the seller wants/needs to get rid of it sharpish.

    Also, most people who have I/O mortgages have an investment/savings plan to repay off the capital - like an endowment mortgage.
    Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Jefferson
  • kingkano
    kingkano Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Melissa177 wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with that. Over short periods, you can make money on an I/O loan for a property, particularly if you have bought a property below market value and then sell above.

    A "below market value" property might be one where the seller wants/needs to get rid of it sharpish.

    Also, most people who have I/O mortgages have an investment/savings plan to repay off the capital - like an endowment mortgage.

    Actually I think in the last year you'll find the opposite true. Too many people are seeing I/O as just a cheaper mortgage and not even considering how they will repay the capital (Oh I will change to repayment in a few years, my house will be worth more later, etc etc).
  • Noz
    Noz Posts: 3,869 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Think you need to read Martin's guide to Mortgages asap.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.