Should "Carer's Allowance" be claimed?

Options
I have a friend who's a full time carer for a person who receives DLA.

I have advised them that they can claim "Carer's Allowance" (their circumstances fit all the criteria).

They are concerned that if they submit a claim for "Carer's Allowance" it will affect the life time DLA that the person they care for claims (there are no other overlapping benefits). In particular it could bring forward (from circa OCT 2015) their transfer to PIP and all the associated problems involved.

Does anyone think there’s any foundation for their concerns or am I right in advising them to submit a claim for “Carer’s Allowance”?

Comments

• diamond_sky
    Options
    I'm no expert but from experience with a friend's family, the benefits shouldn't affect each other....can understand your friend's fears but I can't see how they would impact on each other.
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Again from experience, it is totally separate and doesn't make the DLA be re examined any quicker.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    Depending on what other benefits they claim - a claim for carers allowance may reduce their benefit.
    For example, if they are entitled to the severe disability premium on ESA - they would not be able to claim this if someone claims CA for them.
  • Uglymug
    Uglymug Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for all your replies, they’re much appreciated.

No other benefit is being claimed. The only concern is that if a new claim for “Carer’s allowance” is submitted then this could be deemed as a change in circumstances for the person claiming DLA.

The person claiming DLA is really worried that this will bring forward their transfer to PIP (from OCT 2015 at the earliest). They have threatened to end the otherwise perfect friendship with their carer if they in any way bring forward the timing of their DLA to PIP transfer.

I’ve tried to explain to them both that their fears are unfounded and the carer is entitled to claim “Carer’s Allowance” I’ve searched the Internet to verify this - but to no avail.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or think there’s any foundation to their fears or is it safe for the carer to go ahead and claim “Carer’s Allowance”?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Uglymug wrote: »
    Does anyone have any other thoughts or think there’s any foundation to their fears or is it safe for the carer to go ahead and claim “Carer’s Allowance”?

How does the person who needs care justify having it all for free?

They should be encouraging their carer to claim CA!
  • C.C.L.
    C.C.L. Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 May 2013 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Uglymug wrote: »
    Many thanks for all your replies, they’re much appreciated.

No other benefit is being claimed. The only concern is that if a new claim for “Carer’s allowance” is submitted then this could be deemed as a change in circumstances for the person claiming DLA.

The person claiming DLA is really worried that this will bring forward their transfer to PIP (from OCT 2015 at the earliest). They have threatened to end the otherwise perfect friendship with their carer if they in any way bring forward the timing of their DLA to PIP transfer.

I’ve tried to explain to them both that their fears are unfounded and the carer is entitled to claim “Carer’s Allowance” I’ve searched the Internet to verify this - but to no avail.

A change of circumstances has to be submitted by the person claiming DLA, they have to contact the DWP. I'm in a similar situation, my husband claimed carers allowance for looking after me, then on his retirement it was an overlapping benefit with his state pension so was not payable. Husband is now not well enough to care for me so our daughter has claimed CA as she is now coming every day to care for me. I'm on an indefinate award high rate care & mobility and will be due for the PIP assessment after October 2015.
    All I had to do was sign the form my daughter completed to say I was aware that she was claiming CA. Then we received a phone call from DWP asking my husband if he was ok with daughter claiming CA. It was explained to him that they were asking because of entitlement to other benefits could be affected and for no other reason. The entitlement to other benefits does not apply to us anyway, but they were just making sure.
    Just my opinion, but I would think that someone applying for CA would only suggest that the person claiming DLA needs care because of their illness and not because of a change of circumstances.
    Edited to add:- There was a 3 year gap between CA being paid to my husband and my daughter claiming.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure