Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Help with regards to marital issue

Was wondering if someone can help, if I was married abroad ie british commonwealth country, and moved with my wife to the uk and have lived here for 10 years is this recognised by the courts as married? Also if I wanted to get a divorce would I have to return to my original country? Thanks

Replies

• fiveyearplanfiveyearplan Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Was it a civil wedding (ie registry office) or religious ceremony? Can you say what country? Why would you not think it would be recognised?

:j :j

• Was it a civil wedding (ie registry office) or religious ceremony? Can you say what country? Why would you not think it would be recognised?

Was at a registry office, all I can say its in asia, the reason being if we were to get a divorce Im thinking the UK doesn't even recognise us as being married in the first place since it did not take place in the uk.
  • coolcaitcoolcait Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    The UK generally recognises marriages which were valid in the country where the marriage took place.

If either of you got a visa to come to the UK on the basis that you were married to each other, then the UK has recognised that marriage.

If you're now arguing that your marriage wasn't valid, that could open a very hefty can of worms.

I have no idea why this thread is on the bankruptcy board, and am missing the [confused] icon!
  • fiveyearplanfiveyearplan Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If it was in a registry office then I would say it would be recognised in the UK. I asked that question the UK requires a civil wedding in addition to some religious ceremonies or if it was performed by someone who would not be considered 'of authority or authorised' in this country.

ie - I'm thinking along the lines of Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall type wedding etc.

:j :j

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals