aspartame free squash.

Options
Hi

Just wondering if there is any squash aspartame free at a reasonable price?

Tia
BB

Comments

• Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been buying Rocks Organic Squash. It's apasrtamine, sweetener, additive etc. free. I've been paying £2.99 a bottle and it lasts a reasonable amount of time, it tastes lovely too. Youc an get it in health food shops, waitrose and online.

Asda Extra Special Cordial is also aspartamine/sweetener free too, I've seen it on offer now and it's nice but I prefer Rocks I think.
  • Guineapigsqueaks
    Options
    Hello

If it is just aspartame you want to avoid, I think all Mr Sainsb*ry own brand squashes use only sucralose and no other sweetener.

I avoid all artificial sweeteners like the plague for me and DS and DD. I have found that Supermarket own brand Hi Juice squashes are the best bet, but some of these ranges are No Added Sugar and contain sweetener and others are sweetened with sugar, I check and choose the latter. I would rather they consumed small amounts of sugar than all these chemicals they are increasingly using to sweeten drinks. Neither me or my DS and DD have any fillings or tooth decay and we are all a healthy weight. The best value hi juice with no sweeteners I have found is the Mr T Sun-sip discount brand, £1.09 for a litre bottle, two or three flavours.

It gets harder and harder to avoid these sweeteners as it is seen as healthy to reduce sugar in drinks, but not by using chemicals as far as I am concerned. I have recently stopped buying regular Vimto as a treat, they now include sweeteners in it, despite there being a "diet" version if that's what people want.

Happy Hunting
    Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • twinkle-star
    Options
    Another thumbs up for the Tesco Sun-sip Hi Juice :) At £1.09 it's the cheapest aspartame free squash I could find in there. But I think a trip to Sainsbury's may be in order to stock up if their brand is more reasonable!

We've tried the Summer Fruits & Apple flavours but they also do Orange too.

Ribena is also aspartame free but only the blackcurrant flavour that's around £2 for 1 litre when it's on offer (although cheaper in B&M bargains).

Lidl also have a Hi-juice variety but I can't remember how much they are. (Also, the fizzy Coke & Orangeade in Lidl are free of aspartame).

I definitely agree with the above in that I would rather let my children have a little bit of sugar in their drink rather than the chemicals.

Good luck, and please let us know if you find any good deals :)
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 April 2013 at 10:24PM
    Options
    When you say aspartame free do you mean you are looking for a no sugar one but without aspartame?

Most normal squashes 'ie not low sugar version' do not have aspartame in but they do contain sugar. I say most as you do have to careful and double check the ingredients but I always manage to find one at a reasonable price mostly the supermarkets own brands (I tend to go for the high juices if there are no brand name offers on)

I never buy low sugar / diet versions of anything the artificial sweeteners they use have not been around long so no one is aware of the long term effects of these. People have been consuming sugar for hundreds of years with no ill effect (yes they may not had any teeth lol but that is easier to avoid these days with toothpaste, making sure you eat something when having a drink etc)

like others have said I am not going to willing pump chemicals into my son where there is no need to do so.
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Options
    Sainsburys and Morrisons own.
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • carrie2402
    carrie2402 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    I buyno added sugar vimto £1.50 for 1 litre in Asda, also Morrisons own have no aspartame
  • Fellpony_2
    Fellpony_2 Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    I'm allergic to the sweetner aspartame, and as I am dieting struggle to find "diet" drinks (yes I know water is everything free lol) that don't have that sweetner in.
    So far I have found in cans / bottles : Diet Vimto and Diet Irn Bru.
    And as far as diluting juice goes diet vimto is aspartame free but I don't like the taste, possible I haven't got the quantities to water quite right as yet. So that way I am sticking to water!
    Hope that helps a little :D
    You never know how strong you are until you have no other option.
  • Bargain_Bunny
    Options
    Thanks for your reply's :)

I will pop into tesco and have a look at their hi juice - by any chance, does anyone know if it contains sulpher dioxide?. I was in Asda today and noticed their hi juice is aspartame free but contain sulpher dioxide.

My diet is a bit of a nightmare, I have Ribena strawberry at the moment which is ok, but i will definately check out morrisons to. Im not keen if its no added sugar / diet as these are full of sweetners.

BB
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

I will pop into tesco and have a look at their hi juice - by any chance, does anyone know if it contains sulpher dioxide?. I was in Asda today and noticed their hi juice is aspartame free but contain sulpher dioxide.

BB

i have asda brand at the mo, just checked mine it doesn't contain sulpher dioxide. Its 50% fruit high juice florida orange. I assume you must of checked one of the other flavours. Just a point to be aware of when you go to the other supermarkets if one flavour has it in check the others :) Is there an issue with sulpher dioxide is it something we could all do with avoiding if possible if we chose to avoid sweeteners?
  • Bargain_Bunny
    Options
    i have asda brand at the mo, just checked mine it doesn't contain sulpher dioxide. Its 50% fruit high juice florida orange. I assume you must of checked one of the other flavours. Just a point to be aware of when you go to the other supermarkets if one flavour has it in check the others :) Is there an issue with sulpher dioxide is it something we could all do with avoiding if possible if we chose to avoid sweeteners?

I cant remember which flavours I checked :o but I checked the website and the florida orange says it contains sulpher dioxide :(. Perhaps they have changed the ingredients. Will keep on hunting..

BB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport