We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

No one will give us mortgage!

2»

Comments

  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Plenty of lenders do mortgages for self employed people.

    However on a joint income of £19k you are not going to get near the £170k you want

    Sorry to be blunt, but I'd rather be honest than see you get your self into trouble
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • jpbeautybabe
    jpbeautybabe Posts: 81 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    what if I borrowed 100k threfore releasing 30k of it for deposit and having 70k mortgage perphaps on foreign mortgage? Do you think any Uk lender would lend us 100k on self cert for uk home?
  • JoeK_3
    JoeK_3 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    what if I borrowed 100k threfore releasing 30k of it for deposit and having 70k mortgage perphaps on foreign mortgage? Do you think any Uk lender would lend us 100k on self cert for uk home?

    A UK mortgage lender will only advance so many times the income that you declare on a self cert basis.

    Once this income is spent in the UK the foreign lender has no excess income to take into consideration. As you can see from Lipstick's post, foreign lenders do not accept self certification and if you put a down £30K deposit you would only have the rental income to put towards the affordability calculation.

    Are you intending renting the Cyprus property out and if so, what income will it bring in?

    JoeK
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser.
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • sortofok
    sortofok Posts: 515 Forumite
    You have no money for a deposit, little equity and no proof of earnings.
    Congratulations, some lenders will be falling over themselves to lend you money. Seriously, they will. But get in quick because these deals will dry up soon as the credit squeeze begins.
    On the other hand you could just acknowledge that you cannot afford a second home in the sun and save yourself a lot of money and grief.
    Whenthemusicstopsmakesureyou'renotleftstanding
  • jpbeautybabe
    jpbeautybabe Posts: 81 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I think the only way I'm going to do it is if I sell my house and downsize, therefore I would have no mortgage here but then could I raise a mortgage then on 100k? Do cypriot mortgages go off gross profit?
  • JoeK_3
    JoeK_3 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    I think the only way I'm going to do it is if I sell my house and downsize, therefore I would have no mortgage here but then could I raise a mortgage then on 100k? Do cypriot mortgages go off gross profit?

    Please read the Lipstick post above. I have checked out the criteria and it seems ok.

    Net profit + rental income + pension income if any.

    JoeK
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser.
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • toonfish
    toonfish Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    From what I can see this mortgageis possible without any problems. You would however have to be comfortable that you can afford the borrowing as your income is limited. Our lenders work on affordability and not just income multiples.

    Please share this solution - I'm intrigued and I'm sure others would like to know.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.



This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.