Doctor's referral

Am I correct that if your gp refers you to a consultant and diagnosis is correct/diagnosed, they get a reward payment?
I know it costs GP to refer me....
Does anyone know?
I am asking this question because I am trying to get a referral but as usual, they are very tight on money and if they get reward then they should refer me because I KNOW I've got a condition.
Money is not the root of all evil.
It depends on how you obtain it and how you use it.

Have you sold your soul to the devil?

Comments

• HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    No you are wrong the only thing a GP pays for is blood tests that are carried out at the labs sent by your GP
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you KNOW you have a condition, how come your GP, the qualified doctor, hasn't cottoned onto this and referred you to a consultant to confirm what you KNOW?
  • hannahO_2
    hannahO_2 Posts: 461 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2013 at 10:42AM
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    If you KNOW you have a condition, how come your GP, the qualified doctor, hasn't cottoned onto this and referred you to a consultant to confirm what you KNOW?
    tomtom256,
    Very good point, valid point I must say.
    Many of us know we aren't treated right but GP refuses referral, tests, treatments to get to the bottom of the problem. Therefore, I will have to pay to get tests done privately even though I'm on disability. I want to get well. Who wants to stay in bed 24hrs!? At the end of the day, it is my health and if I don't do anything about it, there is permanent damage and could end up in nappies and wheelchair. I have read about the condition fairly well and I even showed my doctor BNF print out which describes how my condition should be treated but it was dismissed. I'm not the only one who receives these kind of reaction from GP. :(

Generally, I find that GPs don't know about conditions but pretend they do. I doubt they keep up reading research papers etc.

• mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    While I agree that reading up on a condition online can be dangerous. Sometimes when it comes to conditions that are that wee bit rare, some GPs are a bit lax.

I had to fight for about a year to get my dd's HMS/EDS diagnosed. Even now, if we visit a strange doctor in the practice, they look at her as if she's got 2 heads when she mentions EDS. There are so many different things linked to it.

So don't presume that Hannah is just reading something and assuming. Sometimes the patient does know more about it than the GPs
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • hannahO_2
    Thanks mazza111.
    I am also diagnosed with EDS so I already know that something isn't quite right in the auto-immune dept. For my current condition, I've had one blood test done which proved my current condition but the test I need is a step further of that so it's not as if I've just read something on the internet and suspecting. I have already gone down quite further down in this process.

I think some posters don't realise they are exposing their empty brain (lack of understanding and compassion, inability to explore other possibilities etc) in public forum....but I guess ignorance is bliss :p

• Tehya
    Tehya Posts: 501 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2013 at 5:07PM
    hannahO keep fighting your corner and ignore silly comments. I've also been on the merry-go-round of GPs with little, if any knowledge of conditions that are often seen together.

I've suffered for years with severe headaches back/hip pain, hearing loss, eye problems, bendy joints, tinnitus, blood pressure, raynaud's which was blamed on everything from migraine to Meneire's Disease. Thoughout it all I just knew it was neurological and it turned out I was correct all along after having several brain and spine MRIs which lead to not just one diasgnosis but several and so now after years of fighting I'm finally being taken seriously and being treated.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Neither GP's nor consultants are rewarded.
    Primary Care Commissioning Groups are funded by the NHS to commission and pay hospital Trusts to provide services and treatments to their patient population.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Perhaps address the paranoia first. Thinking your GP gets paid when they refer you on, and that you have every condition under the sun kind of points there.

If you are that serious about wanting testing for something, write to your GP surgery, to one of the senior partners who will arrange for further testing if it is available - not all procedures are available on the NHS, or are able to be afforded by PCT's or health boards. Perhaps speak with someone to ascertain whether it is possible first, then the associated costs, and then you can have a good old nag at the GP.
  • hannahO_2
    edited 27 April 2013 at 6:29PM
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    Perhaps address the paranoia first. Thinking your GP gets paid when they refer you on, and that you have every condition under the sun kind of points there.

If you are that serious about wanting testing for something, write to your GP surgery, to one of the senior partners who will arrange for further testing if it is available - not all procedures are available on the NHS, or are able to be afforded by PCT's or health boards. Perhaps speak with someone to ascertain whether it is possible first, then the associated costs, and then you can have a good old nag at the GP.
    The test IS available on NHS. Lots of people had them. It cost about £140 (private).
    You think I haven't checked that yet!?
    I did say I did my research throughly so I know what I am talking about. Yes I am serious about my health hence decided to go down the private route.

I wish people would read my post carefully. How could anyone advice me if they don't read my question properly in the first place. IDK.

• mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Hannah, as no doubt you know with EDS/HMS the gastro issues can be immense. Is there anything on the HMSA website you can print off and take along with you? Or even see a different doctor in the practice.

I would also consider joining the HMSA as it's this kind of thing they can help with x
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport