cycling in London

Options
userman
userman Posts: 95 Forumite
edited 25 April 2013 at 3:02PM in Public transport & cycling
hello!

how safe and convenient is it to cycle in London and central London?

thanks!

Comments

• Tish_P
    Tish_P Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of people seem to cope with it - the idea scares me, but they don't all die. Here's a useful blog post:
    http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/10-things-i-wish-id-known-when-i-first-started-cycling/

If I had to cycle in London I would probably invest in some training on assertive cycling as the traffic there can be so aggressive. And never, ever undertake a lorry.
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    It's pretty convenient, and statistically, it's not unsafe. That said, it can seem intimidating if you're used to cycling in heavy traffic. There are lots of buses, taxis, and other cyclists on the road, and you need to be able to cycle assertively (i.e. not in the gutter). Around this time of year there tends to be an influx of new cyclists on the roads lured out by the sunshine, wobbling all over the place, undertaking, and not signalling. Don't be like them!

Cycle training can help - your council may offer free/cheap training. Cycle Streets is a helpful website to plan your route so you can avoid very busy roads. And whatever else you do, stay the hell away from HGV's.
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I would never do it. I suspect that I would be in hospital or dead within a week. OK I am not a confident cyclist (except in car free areas!) and others would do better. However an ex colleague of mine was killed 10 years ago by one of those lorries doing a left hand turn. Another colleague broke a leg when knocked off her bike.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    The rules of cycling in London:

1. Cyclists do what the hell they want, when they want.

2. Pedestrians are allowed to push / hit cyclists who irritate them.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »
    The rules of cycling in London:

1. Cyclists do what the hell they want, when they want.

2. Pedestrians are allowed to push / hit cyclists who irritate them.

On my way to and from work, I cross a pedestrian crossing which includes a 2 way cycle track. I often feel like doing something to the cyclists who think it is ok to ignore the red lights and cycle over the crossing. It happened again today on my way home.
  • The_ICT_Engineer
    Options
    Your more likely to get killed or injured cycling along a country lane than cycling in London.
  • suffolkb
    suffolkb Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with the above. I cycled in and around London for years with only one accident. Now I have moved to the country, I hardly ever cycle as it is dangerous. The main problem in London is finding somewhere safe to leave it when you reach your destination.
  • Marco_Panettone
    Options
    Cycling in London is as safe as you make it. If you ride in your own little world you'll be in trouble (but probably not notice), but if you keep your wits about you (as you should anyway!) you'll be fine and able to react to the changing situation.

Ride legally, never go up the inside of large vehicles at junctions (including side roads and site entrances) and ALWAYS look behind you before moving position. Use lights.

It's the most convenient form of transport. There are plenty of places to lock the bike to, and it's faster than walking or getting the bus (and tube personally!), and it's free!
    It's only numbers.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    and it's free!
    Only if you steal one of the Barclays ones!
  • Marco_Panettone
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Only if you steal one of the Barclays ones!

Even that'll cost you the release fee!
    It's only numbers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family