We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Portman Vs Standard Life

Has anybody gone with :

1.Portman's building society. I got a quote for 95% int only mortgage at 3 yr fixed at 5.55% , with arrangement fee of 600 pounds and homebuyers for 450 pounds. Early repayment charge in first 3 years is 7k though!
Is this a quick moving company or slow as an elephant/HSBC

2. Standard Life are doing a 3 year fixed interest only at 95% , at 5.89% with 300 pounds arrangement fee, valuation at 185 pounds , Early repayment charge at 3 years is 6k though.

I would want to go for the one which is faster moving.

Should I go for both as one may backout (AKA Murphy's Law)

The variables are:
mortgage of 175k, salary of 55k per annum, doctor - nhs employed, freehold end of terrace property, want 25 yr term, with 3 year fixed interest only, will put in 5% deposit.
Inside I am THINKING.

Comments

  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Are these the only two options available to you? HAve you done your own research or gone via an adviser?

    I've used Standard Life recently and they have been very quick indeed - this is down to their on line broker system and the fact all correct paperwork was sent in from day 1
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • rammster
    rammster Posts: 289 Forumite
    the research is via an IFA - standard life, and London & Country-Portman's.

    has anyone had any experience with portmans
    Inside I am THINKING.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.