We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

fostering & mortgages?

Having been to halifax today just to inquire about what they could offer as a mortage, i was surprized to hear that they could infact offer me nothing? Even though we earn a regular income and have permenant placements and proof of all earnings we were still turnned away! I understand that alot of what we earn is seen as 'allowances' but no one wants to touch us. Having come away from halifax deflated we seeked advice from a local independent finacial advisor who dismissed us straight away! Has anyone else had such a problem? Can anyone lead me to the answers? Andie

Comments

  • PM'd you a suggestion...
    Number 86 - Stole a car from a one legged woman... I'm just trying to be a better person
  • the_other_mce
    the_other_mce Posts: 731 Forumite
    Hiya, I was just wondering what other income you had in addition to the fostering allowances? Do you have a job or do you claim benefits (as the allowance is for expenses for the child and not counted as income?). If you are claiming benefits then most companies won't give you a mortgage - you may need to approach a specialist lender. I don't know of any but there will be others on here who can advise....?
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Quite keen moneysaver......
  • AndrewSmith
    AndrewSmith Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    I placed a case with Northern Rock 2 years ago based on Earned income and Fostering income.
  • toonfish
    toonfish Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Someone like Birmingham Midshires might look at this - they'll take income from all sources. Not a situation I've come across before.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.



This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.