trying to get a refund, angry

Options
Have bought train tickets from redspottedhanky , service been cancelled due to a landslide, checked with them how to get a refund - they said send tickets to us- sent - heard nothing - emailed - been asked to give card detailes - given - heard nothing, emailed again,had suggested I contact train operator directly for a confirmation that the service was cancelled as they supposedly asked for it but never got a reply !. The train journey was back in November! I am fuming angry , spent the whole morning on the phone to redspotted hanky and crosscountry, been told email sent, got nothing, called again - just boiling angry. I have exhausted a complaint precedure at redspotted hanky which consisted of a manager saying me they can not chase trainh operator indefinitely for information, now looking who can I complain about it beyond them. Any ideas?
Thank you
The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.

Comments

• Dogger69
    Dogger69 Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Options
    No point in getting so upset about it.

You need to focus your efforts on getting some confirmation from Cross Country. Do this calmly, you'll find people far more willing to help if you are.
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    I am fuming angry , spent the whole morning on the phone to redspotted hanky and crosscountry, been told email sent, got nothing, called again - just boiling angry. I have exhausted a complaint precedure at redspotted hanky which consisted of a manager saying me they can not chase trainh operator indefinitely for information

I know it doesn't help you now, but this is the classic example of why NOT to buy tickets from a third party !

Buy them from the TOC you are intending to travel on.............they won't cost you more and may be less, if the TOC has a special offer on.
  • IWtone
    Options
    I'm angry with RSH as well, having just discovered I am charged a fee of £10 for a journey I didn't make (through slight illness) and I didn't print my tickets. There is no point using the organisation, use the ticket office or, if online, the Southern Railway site who guarantee a full refund. I have spent hundreds of pounds over the years with RSH - never again!
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't offer to obtain the information they need. In my opinion (but not necessarily the law's!) Red Spotted Hanky have a responsibility to refund clients for tickets that were not used due to the service being cancelled. If they need some kind of confirmation, that's their problem. I'd send them a "final letter before action" by recorded delivery stating that you will sue them for damages in the county court unless they refund you in full within 30 days. Of course you might want to check your legal rights before actually trying to take the matter to court. Sometimes just the threat is enough, however.

This link states that the ticket-seller is responsible for providing you with a refund for a cancelled event (I don't know if a train journey would be considered an "event"): http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/can-i-get-a-refund-on-my-ticket-/

And this link gives some tips for getting a refund on a cancelled train journey: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-claim-refunds-for-train-delays-and-cancellations/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure