We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
no fee/high interest vs fee/ lower interest ?
swayzak
Posts: 112 Forumite
hi
We are about to move up the property ladder and more than double our borrowing.
Obviously there is a balance with these 2 options.
Our 5 year discount is coming to an end.
What factor(s) should influence which mortgage we take next ?
I would invisage maybe overpaying a bit (the odd grand here and there) but probably not enough to justify an offset mortgage.
Would I be better taking a higher interest rate without the £400 plus arrangement fee ?
Would I see immediate benefits following an overpayment ?
thanks
swayzak
We are about to move up the property ladder and more than double our borrowing.
Obviously there is a balance with these 2 options.
Our 5 year discount is coming to an end.
What factor(s) should influence which mortgage we take next ?
I would invisage maybe overpaying a bit (the odd grand here and there) but probably not enough to justify an offset mortgage.
Would I be better taking a higher interest rate without the £400 plus arrangement fee ?
Would I see immediate benefits following an overpayment ?
thanks
swayzak
0
Comments
-
You need to speak to a broker or put together a spreadsheet that lets you compare the different deals. As you have said the no fee ones are not always the cheapest but unless you crunch the numbers you wont know. A broker will be able to show you the calculations though.0
-
they key will be the difference in payments. Can you save the arrangement fee over the benefit period (the period in which you do not pay the lenders variable rate)?I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0
-
Take the high fee with a bit of luck someone here will work out a way of claiming it back for youWho I am is not important. What I do is.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards