We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage help please

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I have found a property I like and received a mortgage in principle from Alliance and Leicester. A&L have worked out what I can afford by taking into account the fact that I plan to pay off a loan with some equity from my current house sale. What will they require from me to confirm that I have paid this off? I know with Nationwide I previously had to sign some sort of letter to say that I would but never did due to a change in circumstances. I managed to continue to pay the loan and my mortgage with no problems. Hope this makes sense.

The problem is that I am not sure I will be able to pay this off prior to the mortgage going through but will be able to shortly after I have moved in to the property.

Comments

  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    If you have disclosed to the lender that you are paying the loan off then that is what you should do. Lenders work in different ways and they all have the right to check that it is done or get you to confirm through signing that you will do this. Some even put it on the solicitors shoulders to provide confirmation of this.

    The reason why they do this is because they have to be seen as a responsible lender and not be putting you under financial pressure. Now a lot of lender may not check whether it gets done or not but I would think very carefully about what you are doing.

    Why cant you pay off on completion but shortly afterwards?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • barrywhite
    barrywhite Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thanks for your quick reply. The reason I can't pay it off straight away is that it is part of a slightly messy marital split. Does anyone know A&L's policy on this.
  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    have u asked your broker if its still affordable without repaying the loan?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.