We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Hacked off with Northern Rock. Any advice?
rhubarbs
Posts: 144
Forumite
Hi,
I phoned Northern Rock today for a mortgage review. I told them I wanted a 2 year fixed repayment mortgage. The girl I spoke to took me through all the usuals and then offered me what seemed like a great deal. I quickly agreed. Half an hour later thinking about the offer I thought it was way too good to be true. I phoned them back and spoke to another girl. I asked if she would confirm that the offer reserved for me was a 2 year fixed repayment mortgage. She said it was. Wonderful thought I and was getting ready to celebrate. A short while later I got a message to call them back. It turns out the deal offered was interest only, they couldn't tell me anything else because their computers were down. They are due to phone me back tomorrow. Really, really miffed.
Any advice about complaining?
I phoned Northern Rock today for a mortgage review. I told them I wanted a 2 year fixed repayment mortgage. The girl I spoke to took me through all the usuals and then offered me what seemed like a great deal. I quickly agreed. Half an hour later thinking about the offer I thought it was way too good to be true. I phoned them back and spoke to another girl. I asked if she would confirm that the offer reserved for me was a 2 year fixed repayment mortgage. She said it was. Wonderful thought I and was getting ready to celebrate. A short while later I got a message to call them back. It turns out the deal offered was interest only, they couldn't tell me anything else because their computers were down. They are due to phone me back tomorrow. Really, really miffed.
Any advice about complaining?
0
Comments
-
You can complain if you want but you have not at this stage committed yourself at the moment and as a result not really out of pocket other than for a few phonecalls.
I would say that yes you are right to be upset and I can understand your disappointment. I would ask them to get an illustration to you with the best 2 yr deal they can. If you are not tied in - go and see a mortgage broker and see if they can offer anything better and let them take the stress out of it.I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards