Chain entries - trending style.

Options
I've noticed a trend that I'm really unhappy about.

For an example, this competition.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4555885

Is anyone else with me in having an intense dislike for these kind of competitions? You give all your details and comply with their terms and conditions and yet do not have an entry until you have persuaded someone else to give away their info also.

Similar set ups i.e. selling schemes and chain letters employing this method are frowned upon and yet it seems to be ok for a competition? Similarly they are open to gross abuse by the serial compers (with a whole ton of email addresses and social media accounts) much on a level with the voting competitions.

I know it's individual choice but these people are getting a whole lot of something for nothing. I'm going to stop entering them, but I just wanted to highlight this and open it up for debate.

:D
I'd post more but I'm too darned slow :D

Comments

• lomaxsylvia
    lomaxsylvia Posts: 5,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I totally agree with you. Obviously it is personal choice where you enter any competition but I for one don't do these ones.
    BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO POST THE COMPETITIONS
  • Blue___Nile
    Blue___Nile Posts: 2,778 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I agree I don't enter these either.

Any comp that makes me feel uncomfortable or unhappy for some reason (call it instinct if you like) I back off and give it a miss. Its strange but a couple of times I've gone back to a comp thread I ditched for some reason and found the comp turned out to be a bit dodgy.

For me there's plenty of other comps out there to enter without worrying about missing a 'good prize'.

Some comps ask for a friends email and as I have a couple I don't really use anymore I use those instead so get round it that way. Even with a lot of the FB comps I don't hit the share button as I don't want anyone bombarded with links etc. Even if I don't share it says I'm still entered into the comp so I think I'm ok doing that.
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.
  • Zanzib
    Zanzib Posts: 5,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If competition requires votes or having to give someone else's details to enter, then no matter how good the prize I wouldn't do it.
  • jaibaby
    jaibaby Posts: 4,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cyynika63 wrote: »

That one, from what I can see, you don't have to get someone else to sign up - that's just for the extra:
    And enter to win the EPIC GRAND PRIZE of a 960GB Crucial M500 SSD by referring a friend – it’s that easy!

But, I haven't clicked through the link so could be wrong :o

As for entering them, on Facebook we often see comps that ask for referrals - Get three friends to enter to unlock this - for example. I enter them, as my profile is my only one and personal, I do sometimes get the referrals needed - and I won one last year - with Glorious Soups - for an iPad2 :D

So some are worth doing :)
    Thanks to all posters :A
  • BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I never enter the refer a friends as I hate to bug my friends with comping stuff! I don't even like tagging friends on facebook - like if a company asks you to tag/invite a certain number of friends to like their page! I think many companies have a cheek!
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i dont mind ones like above that unlockes a further prize but wont do it for the main prize
    What goes around-comes around
  • Cyynika63
    Cyynika63 Posts: 339 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2013 at 11:45AM
    Options
    jaibaby wrote: »
    That one, from what I can see, you don't have to get someone else to sign up - that's just for the extra:

But, I haven't clicked through the link so could be wrong :o

As for entering them, on Facebook we often see comps that ask for referrals - Get three friends to enter to unlock this - for example. I enter them, as my profile is my only one and personal, I do sometimes get the referrals needed - and I won one last year - with Glorious Soups - for an iPad2 :D

So some are worth doing :)

Heh congratulations on your lovely win. I am quite sure there are some fantastic prizes to be had.
  • Cyynika63
    Cyynika63 Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    Oops really, MY BAD....:o:o:o:o:o

I see now that the referral is for a different prize. I really should learn to read better.

I shall crawl off back to my hole :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family