Advice on Co-op Cashminder please

Options
Hello everyone,

I applied for a cashminder account from the co-op and was refused. I rang up and was told that it was not because I am bankrupt.
The lady avised me to write a letter appealing it and to ask the resason why as she could not tell me.

Just wondered has anyone else been refused one of these accounts and do they know why?

I wrote my letter on the 2 May, it was received by the relevant department on the 15 May so just have to wait now.

Thank you all

Comments

• Red1708
    Red1708 Posts: 843 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Moyilla

I was lucky and got accepted for the cashminder account but know that others haven't been so lucky. Did you apply over the telephone & if so are you on the electrol roll? I applied in the local branch but did notice that when they were processing the application that the screen implied that no verification of my home address was needed. I presume this was because I'm on the electrol register.

Whatever the reason it won't be because you're bankrupt as the Co-op are one of the few baks that offer accounts to people that are bankrupt
    BSC Member 59 - AD 29th March 2008

• Bakeybadoo
    Bakeybadoo Posts: 810 Forumite
    Options
    Agreed with Red, obviously something else going on there. Maybe call and ask to speak to a manager?

I applied for ours before we went BR but it was kept open.
    :: BCSC #71 but now discharged! ::
  • savagevixen
    savagevixen Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    Options
    When we opened ours it took 3-4 weeks, several times during that period I got a bit panicky and phoned them asking if there was a problem as it was sent to the referrals team.
    I was reassured that they opened all accounts unless they were (very rarely) suspicious of fraud. They said this could be purely financial or concerning the electoral register.
    As we were on the electoral register and I was fairly confident there was no fraudulent activity attached to my name, I felt fairly confident. It went through fine.
    Check the electoral register and with the credit reference organisations, to make sure there is nothing untoward in your records.
    :starmod: I am not that savage :heartpuls But I am a Vixen :staradmin
  • moyilla
    moyilla Posts: 1,834 Forumite
    Options
    We moved to our current house in October last year, but we are on Electorall Roll as we just voted in the local elections.

In my letter I said I could prove my ID with tenancy agreement, household bills and driving licence etc.

I spoke to an advisor who confirmed that as a bankrupt I was eligible for an account with them so that was not he reson for refusal.

I was also told today that the department that deals with it all is only contactable via mail ~ post that is.

Ho hum, will have to wait and see

Thank you for your help
  • allofadither
    allofadither Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    I was reading about this same situation on another forum where a guy had been refused an account by the Co-op. He wasn't BR and to all intents and purposes had all the right credentials, clean credit file, lived at same address for years, etc, etc, but they still said no. He wrote to them asking why and got some vague explanation (can't remember what) but it didn't really shed any light on exactly why he was refused.

It's not much help to you personally I realize, except to demonstrate that the computer can 'no' to anyone. :rotfl:
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I applied for a cashminder account the day after I went BR and had no problems. Didn't even have to send any ID to them. I just rang up and applied on the phone, then they sent me a letter with my account details on it.

I was discharged last month, applied online for a savings account with the co-op....and was declined?

Go figure?!
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • moyilla
    Options
    That's what I did after reading the links on here ~ applied over the phone.
    The lady said to me I'm sorry you have been refused??!!! :confused:

Hopefully I will receive a letter soon with some kind of hope!!

Thank you all

:T :T :T
  • AlanD_3
    AlanD_3 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Options
    Weird. We've been accepted (were told it would take a week or so to process but when Dawn phoned back the next day to say we wanted it for BR reasons they had it processed within 24hrs...). That was 2 or so weeks ago and we're still waiting for details of our account!!!!!!!

I remember when you could just walk into a bank and open an account, simple as that! What the hell is wrong with the world with all these different types of accounts, having to apply, waiting time etc etc? You'd think they didn't want our business!
  • moyilla
    Options
    Hello

Just thought I would let you know that I have had my appeal accepted with the Co-Op.

I am so pleased and feel totally happy and "human" again.

Silly I know!!

My card arrived this morning and a welcome letter too!

Thank you all for your advice

:T :T
  • owetoomuch
    owetoomuch Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    I went into my local Co-Op today to open a cashminder account, with proof of ID and address, the lady there told me that they dont open them in the branch and that I would get sent the forms in a weeks time and then bring them in. I told her this was not good enough as I needed to open my account quickly so I could have my salary paid into it. She gave me a phone number to ring and said they might be able to help me, rang them and they were really annoyed at the treatment that I received. They have arranged for me to meet with the branch manager on Friday (I am away after tomorrow until Thursday) to sort this out. They said it could take up to 7 weeks to get account opened so I might have to look into getting a Nationwide account (somebody said they do one for BRs) opened in the meantime as I don't want to have difficulties with my salary.
    Went BR 25th May 2007 at 12.33, OR Interview now done. :eek: BSC No 88
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport