We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Bad Advice
bazza6
Posts: 7 Forumite
Hi, my sister was mis-sold an endowment mortgage and has succesfully received a payment from the insurance company. however the people with whom she has been dealing regarding this have charged her 30% of the sum paid out from the insurance company. she was not initially made aware of these charges and was completely gobsmacked when the cheque arrived. is there anything that can be done in this situation.
baz
baz
0
Comments
-
She 'wasn't made aware' as in it wasn't in the contract with them, or 'wasn't made aware' as in she didn't read the contract with them?
She must have been aware of there being some charges?0 -
Hi, unfortunately she is not very literate, the company involved did send her a pack of literature, they then followed up some time later with a phone call and said they would send out a representative to fill in the forms, which they did. he fillede out the forms and she signed.
baz0 -
30% is pretty steep.
I do have sympathy for her. As to what she can do, I'm not sure. She should have been made aware verbally of the charges also. But some of these companies aren't exactly 'straight down the line'.
Would she have got the comp without the company? I guess it's better than not being able to claim at all.0 -
OK thanks, she was not made aware verbally, and 30% is extortion not pretty steep, would she have got it without them, maybe not, but that surely doesnt make it right. so is there no way of making a claim against the charges ?0
-
30% is not uncommon but it is at the top end of the scale. Some of these companies are pretty unscrupulous with the amount they take and the way they act. However, they do tend to have their contracts pretty well watertight. Whilst there is now some protection in place, I don't know if it is retrospective to cases that commenced before that (which was only a couple of weeks ago).I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0
-
Hi dunstonh, ok thanks, as a matter of interest where would i find the details of this said protection to check if it is retrospective ?
baz0 -
http://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/search.aspx
Thats the site to see if the firm is now regulated. There is information on that site about regulation as well. http://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/
I havent found any info regarding retrospective rules. I would read it as being applications after that date but cannot be sure.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
OK thanks, she was not made aware verbally, and 30% is extortion not pretty steep, would she have got it without them, maybe not, but that surely doesnt make it right. so is there no way of making a claim against the charges ?
I agree that 30% is steep but it seems that the choice here would have been 70% of something or 100% of nothing.I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.0 -
If your sister has paid 30% then there is nothing she can do. Legislation is not retrospective and the company concerned may not even have decided to be regulated and is in the position of winding the business down. I am afraid she just has to forget it and move on0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
