TFL bus contactless payments warning

Hi just been caught out by the new TFL contactless payments system on London buses. I wasn't aware of this new system and used my Freedom pass on a bus a few days ago and have just been charged £1.40. I happened to have a bank debit card in the same plastic folder so the reader must have taken that instead of the Freedom pass !
Only a small loss but annoying. Hope this helps.

Comments

• katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Frailes wrote: »
    Hi just been caught out by the new TFL contactless payments system on London buses. I wasn't aware of this new system and used my Freedom pass on a bus a few days ago and have just been charged £1.40. I happened to have a bank debit card in the same plastic folder so the reader must have taken that instead of the Freedom pass !
    Only a small loss but annoying. Hope this helps.

Yes a valid warning but I never keep bank cards together with my Oystercard . It might be worth contacting TFL
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    TFL warned everyone about that when they started advertising the public can use contactless cards.

It was in their own information i.e emails, websites and in the stories they gave to newspapers and the media.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2013 at 12:12AM
    Worthy of a reminder OP, but as said earlier, it isn't a secret.

Here it is on a TfL webpage...
    If you keep your contactless payment card and Oyster card together (for instance in a wallet) and touch them on the yellow card reader together, the reader will normally reject them both. This is because we can't be sure which card you want to use. If you have more than one contactless card (Oyster card, payment card or building pass), please choose the card that you intend to pay with, and touch it on its own on the yellow card reader. If you don't there is a small possibility that payment will be taken from a card that you did not intend using.

There's even a MSE News article, together with a lengthy thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure