We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Reducing mortgage term
waterbaby
Posts: 500
Forumite
Hi,
I am not allowed to overpay my mortgage by as much as I would like to, and I understood from reading posts on here that it is possible to reduce the term of a mortgage.
So I rang First Active and enquired, and was told that I can't reduce the term, I would have to close the existing mortgage and take out a new one (at current interest rates and an arrangement fee).
have I misunderstood the posts I read on here then? Can I not reduce the term of the existing mortgage? The bloke on the phone was speaking in a very scripted way, I'm not sure he actually understood my question.
I am not allowed to overpay my mortgage by as much as I would like to, and I understood from reading posts on here that it is possible to reduce the term of a mortgage.
So I rang First Active and enquired, and was told that I can't reduce the term, I would have to close the existing mortgage and take out a new one (at current interest rates and an arrangement fee).
have I misunderstood the posts I read on here then? Can I not reduce the term of the existing mortgage? The bloke on the phone was speaking in a very scripted way, I'm not sure he actually understood my question.
0
Comments
-
sorry for double post, my computer appeared to crash
0 -
Thats down to the features available from your bank/on your particular deal. It sounds like you have a very inflexible arrangement. They would obviously be very hesitant to decrease the term because it means less interest (profit!) for them!!!
I take it you have some kind of fixed deal? Could you not save the overpayments into an ISA/high % savings account, and when the fix period runs out pay this amount onto it at remortgage time. And when you remortgage look for something more flexible
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards