We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
reducing term
waterbaby
Posts: 500
Forumite
Hi,
I am not allowed to overpay my mortgage by as much as I would like to, and from reading posts here, I learnt that it was possible to reduce the term of the mortgage to allow higher payments.
So I phoned up First Active to enquire, but was told that I have to close the current mortgage, which is at 5.19% fixed, and take out another at a shorter term - but this would be with an arrangement fee of £500 and would also be at whatever rate the products are currently offered at - which would of course be higher than 5.19%.
I was under the impression that it was possible to change the term of an existing mortgage - did I misunderstand then?
wb
I am not allowed to overpay my mortgage by as much as I would like to, and from reading posts here, I learnt that it was possible to reduce the term of the mortgage to allow higher payments.
So I phoned up First Active to enquire, but was told that I have to close the current mortgage, which is at 5.19% fixed, and take out another at a shorter term - but this would be with an arrangement fee of £500 and would also be at whatever rate the products are currently offered at - which would of course be higher than 5.19%.
I was under the impression that it was possible to change the term of an existing mortgage - did I misunderstand then?
wb
0
Comments
-
You can change the term (in either direction) when you come to remortgage. I dont know of any that will let you change the term mid flow without overpayment.0
-
You can reduce the term of a mortgage in anumber of ways.
1) Overpay on your mortgage (Subject to being no penalties)
2) Save for a lump sum and pay this off when there are no penalties
3) Remortgage continuously and use the saving to overpay and shorten the term.
I assume that your present mortgage does not allow you to overpay.
Use plan 2) in that case.
JoeKI am an Independent Financial Adviser.Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.0 -
Looks like I did misunderstand. Thanks for answering0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards