We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Bridging advice please

Hi,

I’m currently selling my house and the buyers pulled out a week before exchange because he was self cert and lost a big contract so couldn’t get the mortgage he was hoping for. This is the 3rd sale to fall through and I’ve already invested the best part of £1000 in a new build with deposits, surveys etc and don’t want to loose it not to mention the emotional upheaval me and my partner have experienced.

Anyways, I’ve looked in to getting a bridging loan for the £140000 I would need to keep both properties and was quoted an extortionate £1700 interest plus £2000 setup fee’s which is totally out of my reach.
A friend of mine works in finance and suggested I get an interest only loan for the bridge which is around 85% of the new property value which would cost around £650 a month and my questions are.

Can you get an interest only mortgage on a house without an investment to pay it off?
If so can I get this from alliance and leister as these are the people who have surveyed the house.

Cheers,

Webmister22

Comments

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,433
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    seems an expensive bridge! I thought rates were around 1%. The danger with bridging is being sure you can afford to do so for however long it takes to sell your home.

    interest only with no repayment vehicle is quite common and shouldn't cause a problem for the lender, though it will cause a problem for you if you have no exit strategy.

    I would guess you could get a buy to let mortgage for 85% if the rental stacks up, though can you afford the 15% deposit?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.