Rant!!

Why are so many gyms removing free weights and putting machines in??

Even worse, why are some gym removing squat racks and putting in Smith machines??

:mad:

HBS x
"I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer

Comments

• alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The gym i got to currently has a mix of all of the above.

However the entire lot if getting ripped out and replaced this weekend so it will be interesting to see what is there come Monday.

The free weight area has always been too small and, to be honest, hogged by some idiots.

I suspect it might be made even smaller but we shall see.
  • Why are so many gyms removing free weights and putting machines in??

Even worse, why are some gym removing squat racks and putting in Smith machines??

:mad:

HBS x

I notice that at the more modern gyms. I go to an old fashioned small gym and they don't have the budget so it works out fine!

I think the answer to your question is a change in consumer? All the young girls/lads who go in to our gym stay clear of free weights.
    It's always darkest before the dawn.

"You are sheep amongst wolves, be wise as serpents, yet innocent as doves."
  • alleycat`
    edited 12 April 2013 at 12:31PM
    I notice that at the more modern gyms. I go to an old fashioned small gym and they don't have the budget so it works out fine!

I think the answer to your question is a change in consumer? All the young girls/lads who go in to our gym stay clear of free weights.

To be honest i can't get near the free weights a lot of the time because the gym staff won't stamp out some of the idiots behaviour.

I'm concerned for their safety and mine.
    I often take free weights to other areas to get away from them.

A couple of them are massively inconsiderate and will leave 50KG+ plates on the bars.
    I suspect a lot of beginners wouldn't even be able to lift that safely off the bar.

I've spoken to two of the guys who work there and they've tried to speak to them about it but they don't want to know and the gym is all about the money.

I suspect a lot of the new / younger people won't go near free weights because of that behaviour.

I also suspect it is easier to train someone on a machine, from the gyms perspective, as it does "control" the motion much more.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Could there also be a problem with health and safety as well? I'm sure it is easier to have an accident with free weights and the gym would not want to be taken to court for keeping an unsafe environment. It sounds improbable but if a police officer could plan to sue a petrol station owner after she tripped on a kerb while attending a suspected break-in then anything is possible.
  • alleycat`
    Just an update on this as my gym has just had a refurb.
    They've actually added two extra squat racks and removed about 10% of the "machines".

They've also opened up the free weights area so it is no longer in a little enclosure and is much more "airy".

I was quite surprised.
  • Pat o the back to your gym, alleycat!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport