Orange have done me over

Options
Okay I'll explain situation...

My Girlfriend took out a contract with Orange for me and I pay the money into her bank. They take out direct debit.

Now last month she was on holiday and I couldn't get to bank before 20th (day of direct debit) so called them and asked as a one of could I pay by card (this was on 17th) now they advised me that would be fine and I wouldn't have to worry about direct debit this month.

Last week I got a letter from RBS charging my girlfriend £38 for turning down direct debit and £10 for going overdraft limit. I understand these charges are illegal but its not there fault as Orange tried taking out direct debit again.

I called them last night and said I spoke to someone etc and they said they cant do anything and its my fault for not knowing I would need to cancel direct debit my end.
Problem I've got is if someone tells me everything is fine I believe them, I had already paid money etc. I'm not really happy at all about it as can't afford charges.

A Supervisor is calling me in a few hours - what other points should I make? What else can I expect them to do? I'm pretty angry as without causing offence the person I spoke to originally wasnt english so I asked for a reference and he gave me a authorisation code for card not reference.

I dont understand why when in matters which deal with money etc they insist on getting people from another country or outsourcing, I barely understand people with different accent so how can they, plus localised to get different phrases etc.

Im just not happy as this is second time a misunderstanding on the phone to a foreign person has lead to me being charged etc

I purposedly used the phrase " so if I pay now I wont be charged on direct debit this month" and he said yeah thats fine. so I believed him :mad:

Anyway I get angry when on phone so need some clear concise things to say and what can I expect them to do? I'm guessing they wont hand over £48 in cash lol but want something sorted it out as I'm soooo poor and really trying hard to get out of debt

Comments

• chunky79
    chunky79 Posts: 732 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know who you spoke to and what time?

Do you know you were definately not told to cancel dd at your end?

The reason i ask all calls are recorded and kept on file for 7 years, you could ask that they pull the tape and investigate. I use this all the time and it always gets sorted within a day or 2.

Also i would contact the bank and inform them of the mistake.
    You can touch the dust but please don't write in it !

Would you like to speak to the man in charge, or the woman who knows whats happening?
  • Gambling_addict
    Options
    I know roughly the time was lunch time, and dat. I paid there and then by card so much have details themselves, I was to slow to ask for name, but did ask for reference but he gave me the card authorisation number instead :(. I'm in outrage a the moment and still no call :@

chunky79 wrote: »
    Do you know who you spoke to and what time?

Do you know you were definately not told to cancel dd at your end?

The reason i ask all calls are recorded and kept on file for 7 years, you could ask that they pull the tape and investigate. I use this all the time and it always gets sorted within a day or 2.

Also i would contact the bank and inform them of the mistake.
  • boo2905
    boo2905 Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya

Despite what RBS have said surely as they have 'charged' you then it is a charge that you can claim back from them. they tried to charge me £28 for going over my overdraft by £2. I rung them, they gave me the usual spiel about it being legal and in the terms and conditions blar blar blar they would ring me back in the afternoon, they didn't so I rung them and it went back in straight away ready for spending the next day :o

I may be wrong but it's just a thought
  • NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It always amuses me how asking the wrong person usually means the wrong answer. Recently when I needed to pay my mobile bill by card (I was in the process of switching banks) they took payment, but told me that the direct debit would still draw regardless, and so i therefore had to cancel it in the meantime. The lesson here? Trust no-one, not even the monkey professing to know everything.
    BCSC Member 70:j
  • Gambling_addict
    Options
    I am sooo angry on a scale of 1-10 its on a 10.

I spoke to Asim on Tuesday, he basically said not alot he can do, so I asked for supervisor, he told me a supervisor wud call me tomorrow, waited all day and nothing. now today some woman has said supervisors dont make calls etc to third parties (even tho Im shown on account) and that they probabaly tried to take money out again so charged another 38quid (going to check later). Cancelling direct debit now.. how hard is it to get someone who can give u proper information. If someone had said to me when paying by card for a one off month that they'd still charge dd I wudda found way to put cash in bank rather than b charged a possible second time.
    Orange are useless im so angry!!!:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport