Has the search function gone do-lally?

Options
Does anyone know if they search function is having a moment and gone a bit crazy?

I usually search for comps by title end date i.e in the search box I put

E: 03/04

and change it to "Title Only" to show all comps ending today and so on and so forth. The search above is only returning 6 pages for me, which seems minimal as I usually get 12 pages - so I have tried searching for the comps ending tomorrow (im a bit behind so playing catch up) so E: 04/04 and Im getting all sorts of comps back with all sorts of end dates on it.

This hasn't happened before and my searches also display the end dates Ive asked for, anyone have any idea?

Also is there a way to show more than 12 pages as I think im possibly missing a lot of comps doing this if there are more than 12 pages of comps for one date
2014 Wins : Aug : Retro Sweet Box, Family Tix to Leeds Dino Exhibition, 2 x Capital Cup Football Tickets, 2 x VIP Experience to the Saturdays concert

Comments

• Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,666 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is a max number of pages/threads that a search will show, perhaps it is 12 pages? A sneaky way to cheat that is to go through the 12 pages for comps, then repeat the search but switch the order: ascending/descending. So the first search will show the first 12 pages, the second will show the last 12 - I think. Perhaps someone will confirm?

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I wanted to enter all competitions ending on 03/04, the way I would do it is to go to the bottom left hand corner of the forum and choose to sort by thread title, ascending. This puts them all in alpha order and after the first few that are sometimes a bit random, you get those starting on 01/01, then 01/02, then 01/03 etc. if you go forward to about page 36, you should be able to find those for the date you are looking for.
  • ample_samples_1980
    Options
    Thanks both of you - very good tips!

Marg2k8 I will be now adopting that way of searching!! Thanks
    2014 Wins : Aug : Retro Sweet Box, Family Tix to Leeds Dino Exhibition, 2 x Capital Cup Football Tickets, 2 x VIP Experience to the Saturdays concert
  • starrybee
    starrybee Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm having problems too - when I'm at work I sneakily check for comps that have been posted during the day, that end that same day. I search like ample does (E: XX/XX) and have no problems usually - but yesterday and today I have just had nonsense as the search results, and when I'm catching up on the comps at the end of the day I am seeing ones that I've missed because they didn't come up in the search for some reason.

I'll try Marg's suggestion tomorrow to sort them, but still it is odd that it's all of a sudden not working.
  • Keeley1986
    Keeley1986 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    I comp by end date, and this is the way I do it.
    I put "E: 04/03" site:moneysavingexpert.com into Google search, then set to show everything posted within the past year, in case people posted a large comp say 9 months or so ago.

It normally comes up with a decent amount of results, wether or not I'm missing loads doing this, I don't know, but I find this way so simple.

Plus the links turn from blue to purple in Chrome when I click them, that's how I keep track :rotfl:

Lazy girls guide to comping :o
    Comping since Feb 2012.

Best wins - Pram, £800+ Baby equipment, Big :eek: gadget bundle, Summer hamper, £500 worth Freeze 24/7 products, Sony Xperia Z, £200 worth tanning/beauty products.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure