oh dear, old debt, I'm in trouble

Options
back in 2000, I had a Student overdraft with HSBC. At the end of my 1st year I was £50 over the limit and my overdraft facility was terminated (they were particulary understanding). Obviously I couldn't pay the £800 so my account was closed and passed on to a debt collection agency.

Eventually we reached an agreement where I would pay £5 per month onto a card at the post office. This went on untill 2004 when i lost the card. As i didn't have any contact details I didn't renew the card and make payments.

After a while I just completely forgot. Since then I have not heard from HSBC or anyone about the debt untill today.

I received a phone call from I beleive either a solicitor or debt collection agency. They had tracked my down to my current address and were demanding I pay the remaining balance of £560.

I have been on job seekers allowance for the past few months and have no savings at all. The guy then started asking about items I own. I told him that a rent the property and the things in it, to which he said would me landloard confirm that. He then said I should borrow money of family and friends, which I can't do.

He has given me 3 days to contact him and said he will seek remedy through the courts.

I don't have any assets besides an old computer and a motorcycle (my only transport) together they are still worth less than the £560.

Are my possesions at risk at all, and what should my next steps be?

Comments

• c-m
    c-m Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lol, I'm not sure who this guy is actually working for. He said the debt was previously being managed by a debt collection agency but now the debt has been sold.

I was supprised that they had my new address, i only moved a month ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure