We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Competition Apps on Facebook wanting more personal info lately

Options
I was clearing out apps from my Facebook account this evening, so I realised that the apps that have been coming up with competitions lately showed up as being info grabs compared to these earlier ones.

Just went to enter one by a big company for a set of hand-creams- the app wanted all the usual info but also friends list, education, likes, location and something else, but to me it was expecting just too much information.

So I clicked no and cancelled the app, and then got an info page explaining why they wanted the info.

The main reason appeared to be 'streamlining' their services to you, etc.

It then gave you a box to opt back in to the app if you wanted.

I've gone to enter competitions a few times this week, only to find they have had these wide info grab apps.

I don't have a problem with the minimum info wanted, after all the company is providing the prize, but the range of info they wanted, no.

I will be taking a close look at each app in future, and probably won't be entering as many...

Comments

• rextherunt
    Options
    They all seem to be at it, even if it is not a competition. Just be carefully!
  • Zanzib
    Zanzib Posts: 5,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've only noticed it happening with the apps in the last five days.

I'm selective about which FB comps I do anyway, but these ones have been companies that I know and buy from.

We all need to be watchful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family