Adult applying for an apprenticeship - pay?

In a mad panic for a new job after less than a month's notice, I scattergunned the West Midlands, applying for anything and everything where I fitted the person specification.

One of the positions was for a street and motorway lighting apprenticeship with a major power company - I know, I panicked, what can I say?

However, the power company is remarkably coy about pay rates.

I can't find out what the pay might be. I'm 45 (making applying for the apprenticeship even dafter) and I understand that the pay will be lousy while I'm training.

Trouble is, I don't know how lousy. Is it minimum wage? Special apprentice rate? I've no idea.

The reason why I'm asking is that after applying for the role and passing a series of online tests, I've been invited to interview. :D

But there's no point in going if I'm not even going to be paid minimum wage. :(

I am interested - the money once qualified would be pretty good compared to what I've been getting in the past and it's a technical role which I would love to do.

Without a degree, there's absolutely no chance of getting any laboratory work around here and a technical, practical trainee role is a golden opportunity I don't want to pass up if I can help it.

So, what are E.On's apprenticeship rates for those over 21 years old?
:huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I stand to be corrected, but my understanding is that the usual apprentice rate is a lot less than minimum wage for the first year. I think after the first year it goes up to minimum wage. As a general rule anyway - some companies might be more generous.
    If they're being coy, it's possibly not looking good.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 March 2013 at 8:25PM
    From Apprenticeships.org.uk

Yes, all employed apprentices will get a wage. The current 'apprentice National Minimum Wage' is currently £2.65 per hour*.

However, as skills develop, many employers tend to increase wages – in fact, research has found that apprentices earn an average of £170 net pay per week.

The apprentice 'National Minimum Wage' applies to all 16 to 18 year olds and to those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. If you reach age 19 and have completed the first year of your Apprenticeship your employer must pay you at least the 'full National Minimum Wage' rate for those aged 18 to 20.

Doesn't mention anything above this age though?
  • Lagoon
    Lagoon Posts: 934 Forumite
    My brother is doing an apprenticeship, just finishing his first year, and is on £2.90ph.
  • Honeypie
    Honeypie Posts: 122 Forumite
    I googled "E.on apprenticeship wage" and it brought up their frequently asked questions page.

It states you will start on £8,410 - £9,804. And that will rise to £20,500 - £22,000 once you're qualified.
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Honeypie wrote: »
    I googled "E.on apprenticeship wage" and it brought up their frequently asked questions page.

It states you will start on £8,410 - £9,804. And that will rise to £20,500 - £22,000 once you're qualified.

For 2008-2009.
  • As an adult, I once ended up in an interview unknowingly for an apprenticeship type role!!! in dental nursing only this year

Though do remember being rather shocked because they were prepared to pay just above the NMW £6.30odd per hour for the hours on job whilst qualifing - although I weren't that convinced they fully realised my age before interviewing me I must say as I had certainly never heard of 'adult apprentices' before really

I would say you need to know before potencially wasting time/getting hopes up
  • Honeypie
    Honeypie Posts: 122 Forumite
    For 2008-2009.

My mistake. I'd say it's still quite clear that it's going to be an apprenticeship wage.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Having looked it up myself recently (i'm 26) i'm pretty siure for the first year its apprenticeship wage, then after the first year rises to NMW, it's put me off tbh, there's no way i can afford to live on an apprentice wage :(
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As an aside I thought apprenticeships were for the under 25's only. I think it is brilliant they are open to all, even if the wage isn't liveable for most older people (with commitments).
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is the page on the internet that frightens me.

£2.65 per hour for the first year! :eek:

As I said, E.On are rather coy about what they actually pay - the page Honeypie and I referred to dates from 2008 or so and indicates that they paid higher than that then (about double) but I can find no reference to anything since.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport