Base conditioner/ shampoo etc - recommended sites?

Options
Apologies for not being able to do a search, but i am on my phone so it's tricky.

I read a post a while back where somebody bulk bought a base conditioner and then just added essential oils etc. For the life of me though i can't remember which post, member or site it was. I will soon be running out of shampoo/conditioner, so thought this might be something i can look into.

Many thanks
GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
Forever learning the art of frugality

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are more likely to get help with this on the Health and Beauty board so I've moved your thread over there and left a redirect so that if any Old Stylers can help with what you're looking for then they will see it.

Pink
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks and sorry for not doing so initially. If i get chance i will do a search on the correct forum once on laptop.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Naturally Thinking sulphate free extra mild shampoo base is good, their customer service is less patchy so use PayPal.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Naturally Thinking sulphate free extra mild shampoo base is good, their customer service is less patchy so use PayPal.

Have you used these yourself FF?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you used these yourself FF?

I use the sulphate free shower gel, my mother uses the sulphate free shampoo, the two are actually quite similar so we have used shampoo as shower gel and vice versa! :p We both have dermatitis but going sulphate free made a huge difference. I normally conditioner-only wash which is why I don't use the shampoo regularly. For some reason I've linked you to $$$ prices, they are based here in the UK.

Another option is to use a conditioner that people commonly use to conditioner-only wash, these have enough of the cationic surfactants (conditioning/ emulsifying ingredients) in to take addition of some oils without issue, that is how they cleanse hair of sebum. People tend to use the cheapest own brands - Value, Smartprice etc - as these don't contain any silicones to confuse matters.

I may try that NaturallyThinking conditioner base myself at some point, my hair loves coconut oil. :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Jei70
    Jei70 Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have used the Soap Kitchen for buying essential/base oils, and noticed that they offer shampoo and conditioner bases (including organic). Haven't tried those myself!
    Cogito, ergo sum.
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    I use the sulphate free shower gel, my mother uses the sulphate free shampoo, the two are actually quite similar so we have used shampoo as shower gel and vice versa! :p We both have dermatitis but going sulphate free made a huge difference. I normally conditioner-only wash which is why I don't use the shampoo regularly. For some reason I've linked you to $$$ prices, they are based here in the UK.

Another option is to use a conditioner that people commonly use to conditioner-only wash, these have enough of the cationic surfactants (conditioning/ emulsifying ingredients) in to take addition of some oils without issue, that is how they cleanse hair of sebum. People tend to use the cheapest own brands - Value, Smartprice etc - as these don't contain any silicones to confuse matters.

I may try that NaturallyThinking conditioner base myself at some point, my hair loves coconut oil. :)

Thanks FF will look into the sterling prices. I suffer with psoriasis of the scalp myself but don't find this affected by any particular manufactured shampoo. I just didn't realise how easy it was to just buy a plain conditioner/shampoo and scent it yourself. A bit like baking really ... :D
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Jei70 wrote: »
    I have used the Soap Kitchen for buying essential/base oils, and noticed that they offer shampoo and conditioner bases (including organic). Haven't tried those myself!

Will bookmark this too ...thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport