Council Tax Band challenge

Options
Hi all, first post

I'm trying to challenge my council tax band.

My main challenge point (I think) is I bought my home in the same month as the house next door but one. We paid the same amount in June 2006 (£250,000 Essex), although my house is a 4bed 3 storey, and that one is a 3bed 2 storey.

My main point is if we paid the same amount in the same month (both new builds, from the same national builder) surely we should be the same band? I am a band higher (E).

According to the MSE Calculator I should be Band D.

There are 5x 3bed 3 storey opposite me (but different name street) that all sold for same or higher (In Oct & Nov 2006 same new build, same developer) that are same band as me.

There are only 2 other houses the same as mine on the estate (300 houses) that sold (£212,995 July 2009) and (£209,000 Sept 2009) they are Band E also.

I called the VOA, expecting to be visited or asked for written eveidence, but I received a letter the other day, stating I am in the correct band and that I cannot appeal (although my research seems to think I can? To the independent tribunal?)

Any thoughts? Help? Advise?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've given a reply on your other thread.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think lincroft has adequately answered your questions in the other thread. I'm more puzzled as to why you think a 4 bed, 3storey house wouldn't be in a higher band than a 3 bed, 2 storey house? Especially when the estate has other 3 bed houses that are also in the higher band. As you should know by now, selling price has no relevance to what band a property is in and therefore has no place in your post, unless you wish to make a more general point on how CT is calculated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure