PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lamb expensive? - Not at the moment!

Options
I thought that I would post this here, because a lot of folks (like us) are trying to find ways of economising with food, and at the moment there are some brilliant deals on legs of lamb, the best seeming to be Asda, where I purchased one leg yesterday (£8.50), and went back for another two today to freeze (£7.80 and £8.04).
Lamb is usually one of the most expensive meats, particularly the leg, so today, I boned the leg, and set about turning it into as many dishes as possible.
At the moment on the hob, there is a lamb casserole with puy lentils, carrots, onions and a bit of left over chorizo. This was made with roughly a third of the lamb meat, plus the main bone, split into its two parts at the joint. I reckon this would feed six people - six hungry people:)
I have left the best meat for curry and kebab - there are around 30 pieces, good sized chunks - normally I would give 5 pieces per portion. I have marinated 10 of these in a spicy marinade which will hopefully taste like lamb tikka.
In the old days, I would just slow roast the lamb, and then the pair of us would eat far too much, simply because it is so tender and delicious. By dividing it into batches, it enables us to be a bit more disciplined and eat sensibly, and most importantly to save money.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would stock up now, farmers were saying that due to so many livestock dying in the snow this is the worst lambing season in history.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds good. :)

I've been reading reports of farmers who have just lost hundreds of sheep in this weather. As it's also lambing time, I suspect that the price of lamb will rocket this year.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    Sounds good. :)

I've been reading reports of farmers who have just lost hundreds of sheep in this weather. As it's also lambing time, I suspect that the price of lamb will rocket this year.

It's lambing time, as you say, but crucially we are not having a great season for the rising plane of nutrition needed aty this time of year from nature. Most livestock started on their cut grass (silage or whatever) early because of the watery logged ground meaning animals had to be brought in earlier than usual, and are eating it later than in recent years.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to love roast lamb. We probably had it 2-3x a year when I was growing up. Not had roast lamb for over 30 years at a guess... it is lovely.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    £4kg at Tesco at the moment.
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    even Iceland is doing a deal of a leg at £12
  • tulip12
    tulip12 Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Aldi has it on offer at £3,99 Kg at the moment, I bought a very large leg joint today for £9. I will also try to get lots of meals from this.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    We were lucky enough to get a huge leg of lamb a few weeks back that OH got reduced to £4. We had a lovely roast from it and made the juices into a lovely gravy. We had enough meat left in the gravy for a further 3 meals for the 3 of us, so a really good bargain! I love lamb.

Has anyone noticed the price of the minced lamb atm....its ridiculous!

Usually get the 500g from Mr T frozen and only a few weeks ago were 2 packs for £5 and now they're £3 each! From a 500g bag though, I can get a huge Shepherds pie padded out with baked beans, carrots, onions, mushrooms and that will do 6 portions and the other half a chilli made in the SC padded out again with kidney beans, onions, chick peas and frozen peppers and this will make another 6 portions, so 12 meals for £6 not too bad I suppose. Love the chilli on baked spuds with cheese on top..yum!

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure they don't have snow in nz which is where i expect most of this lamb comes from.
    I bought a whole local lamb from the butcher £99 which you can do most of the year without the special offers.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure they don't have snow in nz which is where i expect most of this lamb comes from.
    I bought a whole local lamb from the butcher £99 which you can do most of the year without the special offers.

No, but they are experiencing their driest summer for 50 years - NZ drought so that won't help the price of their exported produce.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure