Wood pellet boiler

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
20 replies 3.1K views
PocalettePocalette Forumite
10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Anyone any experience of wood pellet boilers? I'm seriously considering one for a new house and would like to hear people's experience of them.

At this stage don't want to rely on oil the way it's going so just looking for a better alternative..:eek:

Replies

• motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pocalette wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of wood pellet boilers? I'm seriously considering one for a new house and would like to hear people's experience of them.

At this stage don't want to rely on oil the way it's going so just looking for a better alternative..:eek:

Yes, we've one. 25kw, 10 tonne bin built into boilerhouse in garage.

Underfloor heating upstairs and downstairs

Solar panels for heating water.

Works out at about 1/3 cheaper than oil. Return on Investment is around 7 years.

We used Green Energy - http://www.get-renewables.com/

And HeatWaves for the installation and domestic plumbing

http://www.4ni.co.uk/98353x347x36_heatwaves-ni-banbridge.htm

Would strongly recommend both.
  • Thanks Paul

That's great info. Definitely going for the solar thermals as well but not so sure about the underfloor heating...maybe just radiators.

I had heard of the Green Energy company so will check them out.
    21.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Paul

That's great info. Definitely going for the solar thermals as well but not so sure about the underfloor heating...maybe just radiators.

I had heard of the Green Energy company so will check them out.

If you want to discuss it more or if you want to see it in place and running, message me and i will give you my phone number. I live just outside banbridge.
  • PocalettePocalette Forumite
    10 Posts
    That's really useful info. How much dearer than an oil boiler are they? Our house will be the same size... So are you happy with the weekly fill of the hopper? Can I ask who your purchased from?

Thanks.
  • edited 3 April 2013 at 10:22PM
    motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 April 2013 at 10:22PM
    That's really useful info. How much dearer than an oil boiler are they? Our house will be the same size... So are you happy with the weekly fill of the hopper? Can I ask who your purchased from?

Thanks.

Ours was around £8500 for a self cleaning 26KW burner - that might have included the auger too. A decent condenser oil burner is maybe £1200?

The ROI is around 7 years - we've calculated its saving us approx £1,000 a year.
  • edited 3 April 2013 at 10:19PM
    motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 April 2013 at 10:19PM

Thanks.

The bottom line is, pellets are very close to 2/3 of the price of oil, where 2 tonnes of pellets produces as much heat energy as 1,000 litres of oil.

Theres no magic being performed here, its just the fuel is 1/3 cheaper like for like.

So if you're spending £1800 a year on oil, you'll spend £1200 a year on pellets.

A big part of your solution for heating your new house has to be about retaining the heat in your house when you get it there, so its about more than just your heat source.
    21.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have fitted one and delighted with it.2400 square foot house heated 24 hours a day for 20 pounds a week.I did not put in the large hopper and only fill it once a week.Also 2500 grant available

Can you qualify what you mean by 'heated 24 hours a day'?
  • saverbuyersaverbuyer Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Paul,

Are there many suppliers for wood pellets in NI?

Have prices been stable during the last few years?
    21.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    Paul,

Are there many suppliers for wood pellets in NI?

Have prices been stable during the last few years?

We use Balcas, who seem to be pretty decent. They map the pellet prices to be one third cheaper than oil, which suggests to me their prices are a little contrived. I think there are others who supply it too but we've never really had reason to change as i think the price is the same.

If you are buying it bagged then you have more options, but it works out dearer.
  • saverbuyersaverbuyer Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    So has the price gone up as the price of oil goes up?

Do you fill the hopper up when it's cheap?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals