Can I get a loan that I can overpay on?

Options
icw
icw Posts: 23 Forumite
Hi, Can someone with any experience of this kind of thing help me out here.

I want to get a loan for a new car. I have a good credit history so would expect to get a rate of about 6.2%

Can i get a loan that will allow me to over pay when ever I want or to pay the whole lot off if I have a good month without any penalties. Obviously I don't mind paying the agreed interest set out at the beginning.
Hope that makes sense?
thanks
ICW

Comments

• icw
    icw Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    OK,
    after doing a little research I can see that Northern Rock offer this
  • scorpio_biker
    Options
    Hi,

I believe that Egg allows overpayments and I know that the Nationwide does.

HTH
    Nil Illegitimi desperandum carborundum ;)

All of my posts are simply my personal opinions.
    They are not professional advice nor are they the opinions of my employer.
  • Laurenbelle
    Laurenbelle Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax allows overpayments too!
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    we have just gone for the northern rock loan for reasons the same as you that we can over pay at any time without penalty.

they say you can overpay or pay it off in full when you want, but it wont decrease your monthly payments only the length of the loan (obviously thats only when you overpay not pay it off!!)
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi guys, just a thought but if you don't gain anything by overpaying with Northern Rock (i.e. overpaying doesn't save you any interest - you still pay the same...) then if you can afford to pay more, why not just stick it in an ISA or savings, at least you earn interest that way...

Then, when you do have enough to pay it all off, pay it all off at once!!

M
  • jinkssick
    jinkssick Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thats well thought.
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more £££ dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
    call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
    Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is £ notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
  • mrmajika
    mrmajika Posts: 987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MORPH3US wrote: »
    Hi guys, just a thought but if you don't gain anything by overpaying with Northern Rock (i.e. overpaying doesn't save you any interest - you still pay the same...) then if you can afford to pay more, why not just stick it in an ISA or savings, at least you earn interest that way...

Then, when you do have enough to pay it all off, pay it all off at once!!

M

You do gain from making overpayments. NR calculate interest daily and apply it to the loan account monthly. Any overpayments will come off the loan balance and therefore save interest. The direct debit comes out each month as normal and is not lowered by any overpayments. That is, overpayments go towards lowering the term of the loan and not the direct debit monthly payments.

It's only not worthwhile to make overpayments if the loan company use front loading of the interest. That is, all the interest is added to the loan on day one.
    Whilst my posts do not constitute financial advice, I am always, without fail, 100% right! :D
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    we have now got our paperwork for northern rock and about to send it off, but wanted to know just one thing!!

how do we overpay, can we just send them a cheque one month if we have a bit spare etc... Could we pay it into a branch or something? It says in the stuff they send you that you can overpay but doesnt tell you how :rolleyes:
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mrmajika wrote: »
    You do gain from making overpayments. NR calculate interest daily and apply it to the loan account monthly. Any overpayments will come off the loan balance and therefore save interest. The direct debit comes out each month as normal and is not lowered by any overpayments. That is, overpayments go towards lowering the term of the loan and not the direct debit monthly payments.

It's only not worthwhile to make overpayments if the loan company use front loading of the interest. That is, all the interest is added to the loan on day one.

Thats incorrect (at least it is the way I read it)

"Yes you can make overpayments at any time. Your monthly payment will not reduce and the total amount of interest paid will remain the same unless you settle your loan in full. As overpayments reduce your outstanding balance, you may be able to pay the loan off earlier than expected, as your loan term will reduce in line with any overpayments made. If you do pay off the loan early you may be entitled to a rebate of interest, which is calculated using the formulae prescribed by the Consumer Credit Act 1974."

I.e. the overpayments won't save you any interest until the whole thing is paid off so as I said, you'd be better sticking it in an ISA and paying it off sooner and earning some money back...

M
  • panholio
    panholio Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Is the above correct? Is this not effectively front loading interest which I thought was now illegal?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure