We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Applied to Northern Rock and still not heard from them

Options
hubballi
hubballi Posts: 424 Forumite
I applied to Northern Rock on Wednesday for a loan which I was informed they would let me know within 48 hours. Its Sunday and I have still heard nothing ! ! !

Has anyone else had this experience?

Comments

• marty1888
    marty1888 Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    they just endeavour to get back to you by then, sometimes they wont bother and will just send out a rejection letter by post. Alternatively they could still as yet be undecided as to whether to accept your loan request.
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    we applied on wednesday as well, hadnt heard from them by friday so we called them and said yes you have ben accepted and the paperwork is in the post.

havent had anything today so should come tomorrow.
  • Rose9999999999
    Options
    I applied for a 22k loan over 3 weeks ago to consolidate my credit cards, another high rate loan and buy a new car. That whole 'we'll contact you in 48 hours' seems to only count of you're borrowing 20 pounds over 4 years. I didn't hear for almost 2 weeks so I called them, and they told me I wouldn't receive all the money I had requested but only 20k - but that someone would call me that day to confirm. No call.

Another week has just gone by so I have called them again to be told actually no - I have been declined the loan - and no one thought to call me or write or have the courtesy to do anything. When I asked why they said they don't give out decline reasons, but I could check my credit rating with Equifax - which for the price of 15 pounds I found out something I already knew - that I earn good money, I pay all my monthly bills and I have no court convictions - basically excellent credit history.

The rudest, most unhelpful people I have dealt with. Clearly they don't want people who will pay ontime without fail. I wouldn't bother with them, the low interest rate means they are flooded with applications so they could care less about anyone.
  • hubballi
    hubballi Posts: 424 Forumite
    Options
    well, I still haven't had any reply and I need the money ASAP. Anyone recommend another compony?
  • divadee
    Options
    Have a look at Martins article here

have you tried asda at 5.9% you cant over pay on that one though. Our there is the barclaycard at 6.3% again i dont think you can overpay on that one either.

Have you tried calling Northern Rock?

EDITED to say just had a look and the asda rate has gone up to 6.9% so not a great deal!!
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    hubballi wrote: »
    well, I still haven't had any reply and I need the money ASAP. Anyone recommend another compony?

WHy don't you just ring them up??
  • purplezone
    Options
    as an existing customer of northern rock i thought it would be a formality to get a new loan with them to pay off their other loan and get a larger 1 to buy the new caravan and car we have seen.the loan was agreed but as i didnt need the ppi as i already have income protection the guy spent 15 minutes none stop trying everything to get me to take theirs out.despite my declining it countless times he came back with so many what ifs that in the end i lost my temper with him and told him to forget the loan and i would go elsewhere.they obviously dont need my custom and i for 1 will never use them again or recommend them.i complained to customer services and they said they will look into it.5 days later and we still havent heard a thing.asda have a new customer now.the loan was approved and sorted in 20 mins AND with no high pressure ppi sales.fair play to them.if that is the pressure on northern rock employees then i suggest he either looks for a new job or they change thier sales pitch.a disgrace.
  • divadee
    Options
    just had my paperwork through a minute or 2 ago. And we applied the same day as you, so if you have a good credit record then there shouldnt be a problem and yours should be through in the next couple of days.
  • pigginrutt
    Options
    Has anybody got the number to contact them. We applied thursday but have heard nothing and i can't find a contact number anywhere. Cheers.
  • divadee
    Options
    0845 608 0405

is the number that you can get through on.

they have got a geographical number, but they refuse to put you through if you insist they hold you for ages!!! we held for 1hr 45mins before giving up and trying teh above number got through in10mins :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport